Please sign in to post.

Venice Tours

Do I need to take a paid tour in Venice ( we will take a tour to see the glass blowing and lace islands) or can we see all on our own without paying for a tour? Visiting 10/2-10/6.

Posted by
2881 posts

With the exception of San Marco, I see no need for tours in Venice. With a little planning, you can see and learn on your own. That includes visiting Murano and Burano. Decide which museums and sights you want to see, if needed buy tickets in advance but not many do need pre-bought tickets. Then wander the neighborhoods. Last visit I decided not to worry about getting lost and had a great time. It’s an island after all, you can’t get lost.
If you want a food tour, several have been recommended on the forum and Eating Europe just started a Venice Ghetto tour.
What you will want to buy is a vaporetto pass. It will be a lot cheaper than single tickets.

Posted by
5021 posts

Agree completely with Horsewoofie! Been to Venice several times and have never needed a guide. Just read a good guide book before you go and you can do everything on your own. Unless I'm mistaken, Rick Steves has downloadable audio guides that many folks use that seem to work very well .

Posted by
221 posts

As per the above, a vaporetto pass is a must. We definitely got our money's worth with our 48 hour passes. The only tour we did was the English language Secret Itineraries Tour of the Doge's Palace, which, I thought, was very good.

Posted by
33164 posts

I've been to Venice numerous times and have never taken a tour there.