Please sign in to post.

Venice to Rome by way of Santa Lucia train

My husband and I are taking a transatlantic cruise on Princess and our final destination port is Venice. We arrive the day before disembarking at Stazione Marittima Porto close to the Santa Lucia train station. I was told that it is easier and cheaper going to the Mestre train station by taking a land taxi which would cost around 40-50euros. Looking at the train schedule it seems there are more trains around the time we need going out of Santa Lucia and basically around the same fare. I understand you can take a people mover at the port and then cross over the bridge. Does anyone know exactly how to get to Santa Lucia from the port. I also understand there is a water taxi. We don't mind taking the People Mover and walking over the bridge. Looking at a google map the steps on the bridge are ok and I don't think it should be a
problem. Has anyone experience going from the ship to the Santa Lucia train station? Can anyone tell me exactly what we need to do and possibly how long it will take from the ship to the train station? Any help is appreciated.

Posted by
32214 posts

If your ship docks closer to Venezia Santa Lucia, I'd suggest just taking the train from there. The same train will likely be stopping at Venezia Mestre anyway, and the cost difference between the two stations is not that great.

You can purchase your tickets at the station, and there are frequent trains on that route. For the trip from Venice to Rome, you could travel either via Trenitalia or the competing Italo trains. However one point to note is that Italo typically uses a different station in Rome. If you want to travel to the central Roma Termini station, use Trenitalia.

Note that those trains have compulsory reservations (which are included with the tickets you buy), and the tickets are valid ONLY for one specific train, date and departure time. If you're absolutely sure what time you'll be getting to Venezia S.L., you can pre-purchase tickets at considerable savings. However, the cheapest tickets are non-changeable and non-refundable, so if you miss the train you've booked, the tickets are worthless and you'll have to buy more at full price.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you. Would you know anything about the People Mover? How far is it from the marittima porto and how to get there. At what point do we cross the Ponte della Costituzione bridge to cross over to get to Santa Lucia station? Looking at Google maps I can see the Marittima Porto and the Ponte della Constituzione but I don't see the People Mover.

Posted by
265 posts

I think it would be way easier and faster to take a taxi from the port to Mestre especially if you are dragging your luggage. My thought is that the estimate of 40 to 50 Euro seems way too high. It is only 5 - 7 Kilometers (if that). Now I have never taken a taxi to Mestre so I will let other posters who have actually taken such a taxi ride confirm a correct estimated cost to the Mestre train station.

I have done this little trip from the train station to a ship dragging my luggage and it was not terrible. At the time it cost 1 euro to buy the ticket out of a machine then you take an elevator up to the people mover for the short ride. Depending on where your ship is docked will determine how far it is from your ship to the people mover. Just follow the crowd. Rick's books describe it well and in detail.

AND then there is the view of Venice and the Grand Canal from the front steps of the train station.... Maybe one of the best first or last views of a city anywhere.

I just re-read you message and you say you arrive a day before you disembark. The people mover is a way many people explore Venice on foot. So you would be able to check it out before you determine whether you want to take the people mover or a taxi.

Posted by
15204 posts

From Piazzale Roma to Mestre it's less than 25 euro by taxi. Not sure if it's more from the cruise dock.

Posted by
32822 posts

It may be worth while seeing the whole picture, or at least a bit more of it.

The station at Mestre is old, overwhelmingly blue and gray, and - to the best of my recollection when I was trying to hump a medium sized case around there - has a fairly narrow tunnel to connect the many platforms and narrow stairs to go up to the platforms, and only stairs - no lifts, elevators, or escalators. I have heard that there is a lift somewhere but I've never found it. And the trains don't stop there for long as it is an intermediate station. It is an urban station. Refreshments at the station are a bar and a McDonalds and machines on the platforms.

The station at Santa Lucia on the Grand Canal really is right on the Grand Canal. When you get on the train there you feel like you are still there - because you are. The whole station is on one level and all the tracks are dead end tracks so it so super easy to find your way around and get to the right carriage. Because all the trains originate there they are there for many minutes before they leave and you can board very calmly.

If you don't want to carry your luggage up the magnificent stairs and say farewell to Venice as you go there is a ramp around the side.

The Santa Lucia station was given a huge makeover last year and now has plenty of stores and shiny new floors, walls and ceilings.

And last but not least instead of looking out the windows of a taxi at the traffic you will be up high on the train looking at the lagoon as you cross the causeway towards the mainland and Mestre.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you Nigel for the informative description of both train stations. We agree that leaving from Santa Lucia is a better choice. There are many more choices in times departing to Rome Termini station. The train ticket price is the same or slightly lower from Santa Lucia then Mestre and we also save on the cab fare. We also like the idea of saying goodby to Venice looking at the Grand Canal. The steps should not be difficult and we are allowing plenty of time to debark ship and get to the train station. We really appreciate everyone's replies.
Anna & Arthur
Houston, TX

Posted by
3812 posts

Every single train that leaves from S. Lucia stops in Mestre.

Posted by
8 posts

Yes but practically with the same fare and no cab fare and what I'm hearing a nicer train terminal at Santa Lucia.