Please sign in to post.

Venice to Rome

Traveling this summer with round trip in and out of Rome (best $). We plan to start in Rome and work north, ending in Venice. Looking for best options from Venice to Rome. AND hotels close to airport.

Posted by
8889 posts

Regular high speed trains, one departure per hour and trip takes 3h45 Grand Canal to city centre.
Fares start at €35.90 if bought 2-3 months in advance, €86 if bought on the day.

Look up times, prices and buy tickets on the Italian Railways website: http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en
You will need to use the correct (italian) names for the stations: "Venezia S. Lucia" and "Roma Termini".

If you want a stop on the way for a few nights, Florence is half way (station: "Firenze S. M. Novella").
Bologna is also an option.

Posted by
1039 posts

We did it by overnight train, in a double cabin for me and my wife. Positives were a fun experience, saved the cost of a night's hotel, and got into Venice early morning for a full day of sightseeing. Negative was the train got into Venice Mestre very early in the am, and since it was my first time on a night train, I was nervous about missing my stop and ending up in Trieste, so I didn't get a great night's sleep. But something to consider.