Please sign in to post.

Venice to Rome

What are the best ways to get from Venice to Rome excluding driving?

Posted by
23296 posts

For us the best way is via train. But, then, we always prefer the train. But don't know what would be best for you.

Posted by
24 posts

Last time we were in Venice we took a flight from Venice to Rome and that worked out quite well. The price was reasonable. We flew AirOne. They no longer seem to provide that service. Alitalia does provide service but their price is too high for us. How much is the train?

Posted by
24 posts

Thanks everyone. The train sounds good. I'll poke around the site and see what comes up.

Posted by
8159 posts

Unleaded gasoline is now $8.55 per U.S. gallon in Italyas of yesterday. From big city to big city, it's the train. Rental cars are for doing day trips out of a central location.

Posted by
7737 posts

Cars can be economical and practical if you're traveling with kids, but for the two of us, it's the train, although for some short distances and towns a bus can work better.

Posted by
24 posts

Thanks to everyone for help. I have one more question to ask. We'd like to stay in Venice for a few days. It'll be just my wife and I. Do you have any hotel recommendations? We're on a tight budget so we're looking for clean, comfortable accommodations with air conditioning that won't require a line of credit.

Posted by
32213 posts

Raymond, For somewhat "budget" accommodations, you might have a look at This Hotel. I've stayed there in the past, and while it's not luxurious the room was very comfortable. I've found that Venice tends to be a bit more expensive than other locations in Italy, so you may have to adjust your budget a bit. Buon Viaggio!

Posted by
238 posts

We have taken the train (76 euros, or 49 euros mini fare), which takes almost 4 hours, and Easy Jet (39 euros) but Easy Jet also charged for luggage so the price would even out. The train is definitely more relaxing.

Posted by
1127 posts

When comparing the price of flying vs the train factor in the cost of transportation to/from each airport, not to mention the time factor. From point to point the train will take less time and the train stations are in the heart of each city.