Please sign in to post.

Venice to Rome

What is the best way to get from Venice to Rome? I have looked at the trains on Trenitalia and it says the Venice is an "invalid" stop. Also what train station in Rome, there are like 10 to pick from. I am travel ing with my parents and 3 kids, so 6 of us. Kids are 14,12,and 5 and both parents over 60. I am hoping there is some kind of discount for them. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Melissa

Posted by
7209 posts

Venezia San Lucia -> Roma Termini are the station names. Hopefully you can get one of those Mini Fares for super low cost. I got a Mini Fare for 9Euro traveling Rome -> Venice. Bought mine about 3 weeks ago for travel in June.

Posted by
27 posts

Thank you for the reply. Do you get your tickets in advance or the day of travel?

Posted by
23296 posts

If you want the discount tickets, they must be purchased in advance, further in advance cheaper the ticket, but you are locked into a specific day and time.

Posted by
27 posts

We are traveling in June. Do you know how far in advance you can purchase tickets and what website the "mini" ones are on?

Posted by
71 posts

I already bought mine for July travel - check NOW! Go onto Trenitalia website and type in the stations above and your date of travel to check out your options. If you have trouble, check out the Ron in Rome website - there is a goldmine of info there. Good luck :)

Posted by
27 posts

How do you get the Minifare. Looking at the Trenitalia site and there are no fares listed under the Mini. Am I just out of luck or is there another place I should be looking for those fares?

Posted by
71 posts

I am no expert - this was my first time doing it - for me the mini fare was listed when I put in the info - if there is nothing there than maybe it is too late - I'm sorry, I really don't know.

Posted by
1525 posts

I plucked some random dates for June; the 8th, 15th, & 23rd (all Fridays and all between 8AM and Noon departures). I got MINI fares listed for almost all trains. However, all of the 9euro fares must have sold because I saw only one 19euro option, a few 29euro options, and many higher. Act fast to get the best price possible. (Be sure to spell the cities the "Italian" way; Venezia & Roma)

Posted by
27 posts

Thank you all for the help. I actually went to Ron in Rome and used his link to the trains and the mini fare popped up. So thank you for that tip. I don't know why they weren't listed the first time I attempted.