Please sign in to post.

Venice to Ravenna

Best way to travel from Venice to Ravenna and back.

Posted by
6883 posts

Direct buses (Flixbus) take 3 hours, the train (Trenitalia) is a bit faster (2.5 hours) and probably more reliable, but not direct and likely to cost more.

Posted by
856 posts

My choice would be train. The bus schedule via Flixbus is pretty sporadic at this time and does not travel on all days. The train schedule is rock solid, dependable and would allow early departure from Venice with late return home from Ravenna. That is if you are seeking a day trip. But spending 6 hours traveling in one day seems a bit extreme when combined with touring a city.

Posted by
15800 posts

Right. It would be good to know more about this trip? Are you looking at doing it as a day trip from Venice? Are you booked on a cruise departing from the port in Ravenna? Are you departing from historic (island of) Venice or from the airport?

That said, train is probably your best best. The journey will run 2 hrs, 22 minutes to a little over 3.5 hours from Venezia S Lucia station - NOT the airport - depending on the time you wish to depart Venice, and involve one train change in Ferrara or Bologna. Tickets are not expensive: as little as abt. 15 euro - 25 euro PP if purchased in advance, and depending on the trains chosen.

I'm with Marc that Flixbus runs are too limited to be a great option; right now it looks like it's only running once a day, in the late afternoon, on the days it operates. I'll also agree with him that this would be a lot of time spent sitting on transport to do as a day trip from Venice so hope that's not the case! :O)

Posted by
871 posts

A day trip from Venice to Ravenna is not practical. Train time each way is 2:47. Double that and add about 2 hours more for the 4 trips to and from stations and the result is over 7.5 hours.

Posted by
3122 posts

I'll just add that if your purpose in traveling to Ravenna is to see the Byzantine mosaics, you'll need several hours "on the ground" to do them justice.

What time of year are you going? Ravenna is a popular beach town in the summer months.

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks for information about travel from Venice to Ravenna. We are spending several days in Venice but going to Ravenna to catch a cruise ship. Train seems like the best choice? Just in case, we are traveling to Ravenna the DAY BEFORE we board the ship and staying in a hotel near the train station. What is transportation like between the train station area and the cruise ship terminal?

Thanks,
terry

Posted by
6017 posts

I believe you’ll get need a taxi from station to port

Have you checked with cruise company to see what they offer?