Please sign in to post.

Venice to Ravenna

We have just found out that our cruise port has been changed from Venice to Ravenna.

We are arriving in Venice 4 days before our cruise embarkation date, because of this we will need to get a new COVID test done and we need to find the best way to get from Venice to Ravenna. I would like to be in Ravenna by 10:30am the latest.

Any suggestions for both of the above?
Thank you
Chant from Canada

Posted by
20072 posts

There is a regional train at 6:40 am with a change at Ferrara that gets you there at 9:43 am, and one at 7:40 am arriving at 10:17 am. Cost is 14.55 EUR per person. No reservations required, or taken.

https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html

Posted by
27096 posts

Will you have an opportunity to see Ravenna during or after your cruise? If not, much as I think Venice is very special, I'd seriously consider going to Ravenna the day before your cruise so you can see the magnificent Byzantine mosaics scattered around the city. Doing that would avoid the need to get up at the crack of dawn on your embarkation date and the slight risk that a last-minute train problem could make you late to the port.

Posted by
4842 posts

Your hotel should be able to point you to the nearest pharmacy that does tests. And I believe testing is available at the train station.

There are frequent trains from the Santa Lucia station to Ravenna (change trains in Ferrera). There are 2 that leave between 6:30 and 7:00 (I just picked a random day next month) that would get you there by 10:00. Check the trenitalia website. You would need a taxi from the train station to the port.

ETA: going a day early is a good idea, not least in case there's a train issue.

Posted by
2 posts

Our ship does not leave port until the next day at 5pm. We will be exploring Ravenna & its beautiful mosaics that day.

We board the ship on a Thursday, are the early schedules better during the week? How easy is it to transfer between trains?

I believe we can get a shuttle from the train station to the port, I’ll be verifying with the cruise company.

Posted by
20072 posts

I would tend to think that the very early trains could be busy with commuters. Since the train originates at Venice S Lucia, just get there early and you'll be sure to get your choice of seats. I also believe the connecting train originates at Ferrara, so just board as soon as it is spotted on the platform.

Ferrara has 6 tracks (Binari in Italian) on 3 platforms. The platforms and the main station are connected by an underground passageway. So if your new train is on a different platform, you just walk down a stairway, then walk a short way then up the stairs to the new platform. You might luck on and the new train be on the opposite side of the same platform.

Posted by
68 posts

When I was in Italy in July I found the pharmacies very helpful for Covid testing. It took going to several to find one that had a time slot for us; however, it was easy: made the appointment, came back at scheduled day/time, paid the fee, filled out the forms, pharmacist did the nasal swab and we picked up a print out of our results within 30 minutes. They can also be sent electronically. Have a great trip!