Please sign in to post.

Venice to Florence train

Hi!
Taking a train from Venice to Florence. I am buying the train ticket online. the route takes about 2 hours. How long does it typically take to get from Venice to the train station and onto the train? Trying to judge what time i should take the train at?

Posted by
2467 posts

Are you starting from the Santa Lucia train station, which is centrally located on the Grand Canal? And, where are your lodgings? That information will help the forum help you.

Posted by
5687 posts

Open on a Google Map of Venice. Search for the train station ("Stazione di Venezia Santa Lucia, Venice") then find directions to your hotel. It should show you walking directions and options to use the vaporetto boats.

Posted by
9696 posts

Your hotel may have instructions for getting from the train to the hotel with a time estimate and notes on what boat to take. Check that out and see if that is there. Then you could just consider it in reverse.

In any case, I usually allow about 45 minutes by the time you walk from your hotel to the vaporetto stop, wait for the vaporetto, take it, and get off at the train station. It may take you less time, but always better to get there earlier than you need to rather than too late!

Posted by
15268 posts

The train is in Venice on the Grand Canal. The time necessary to reach it depends on where your hotel is located. It could be a 5 min walk or a 45 min vaporetto+walk transfer.
Be on the platform ready to board about 10 min before departure. Car Doors close about 1 min before departure time.