Please sign in to post.

venice to Florence

Hi! We are traveling by car on Sunday Aug. 4th from Venice to Florence with our five children ages 14 to 3.5 and are looking for a nice place to stop for a few hours along the way. Someone mentioned Ravenna but it adds another 1.5 hours to the drive. Is it worth it? Or do you have any other suggestions? thanks!
Heather

Posted by
15303 posts

From Venice to Florence is only 3 hours by car. Along the way you have Padua (very close to Venice though), Ferrara and Bologna. All three are nice places for a short visit. Bologna is a bigger city. In your shoes I would stop in Ferrara.

Posted by
11294 posts

Ferrara is a lovely place; if you want a stop, I highly recommend it.

Posted by
11613 posts

Ferrara is a great suggestion, the kids will probably love the castle.

Posted by
365 posts

I happened upon Relias La Belluccia in a small town near Montecatini Terme. It is an antique flour mill transformed into a B&B (apartments and hotel) with a lovely restaurant and a built in swimming pool. It is a great home base to visit Tuscany. Close to Florence, Pisa, Cinque Terre etc. Consider the kids will love the pool after a day of site seeing The restaurant on the premises will make your stay even better. The food is great and the place is very clean. The owners are a wonderful family who will make you want to move to Tuscany. The web address is labelluccia.it Please let me know if you go there I would love to hear how you enjoyed your stay. Regards,
Lorie

Posted by
3 posts

My vote is Ferrara too. It has the "highest bicycle rider-ship rate in the en- tire Mediterranean region, and a rich cycling history." Have not been there but will be passing through in a few weeks time.Colleen

Posted by
134 posts

Hi Heather, The mosaics at San Vitale are quite splendid, Dante's tomb is nearby, and some good restaurants, good early morning and lunch stop then on to Florence.