Please sign in to post.

Venice to Dubrovnik

Trying to work out a trip of about 16 days, First five or 6 getting to Venice and surrounding area then trying to figure out how to get to Dubrovnik the coast and Montenegro. then back to a airport that can get us back to Denver.
Planes, trains, buses or car ? Any thoughts, looking for ideas Thank you

Posted by
11613 posts

Check Alitalia for daily flights from Venice to Bari; from there you can take a ferry. (Earliest flight is around 6am.)

Posted by
11613 posts

You may also find a ferry from Ancona or Ravenna to Split and then bus or boat to Dubrovnik.

Posted by
192 posts

Thank you for the ideas, I think the reverse may work best my problem so far is getting close enough without spending a day and a half in airports. Do not mind driving, not sure if from or to Italy and Croatia is possible with the car rental companies.

Posted by
2124 posts

Jeff we did this in reverse a few years ago. Flew from Denver to Dubrovnik, visited Montenegro, Korcula and Hvar. Took overnight ferry to Rijeka, then 3-hour (?) very nice bus to Trieste, Italy. We stayed overnight in Trieste but could have kept going by train into Venice, arriving maybe 7:30 p.m. We then later flew home from Venice. We got on the Rijeka ferry on Hvar, but it originated in Dubrovnik and also stopped in Split, so we could have boarded in any of those locations. This was in late September 2009, and I believe the ferry ran every night. Cost was very reasonable (we reserved sleeping berths). We made all of the arrangements for the ferry after arriving in Dubrovnik.

Posted by
192 posts

Thanks for the info , how did you fly from Denver to Dubrovnik ? Would like to fly Delta, but they do not seem to have a partner that goes there although it seemed like they use to

Posted by
2124 posts

We flew on United from Denver to Dubrovnik (via Dulles and Vienna, I think). Just check Expedia or Kayak to see the various routings available. We flew open jaw into Dubrovnik, out of Venice. The Dubrovnik airport is very near the little village of Cavtat, which is where we stayed, and took day trips from there into Montenegro and Dubrovnik. Depends on what you're looking for, but we loved Cavtat ... a beautiful, quiet little fishing village. Good place to stay there is Villa Andros. Check it out on Trip Advisor.