Please sign in to post.

Venice to CT or Florence April 2010

We will be in Italy for 11 full days starting in Venice (2 days) and ending in Rome (3), hitting the CT(2), Pisa(1/2), Florence(2 1/2) and Siena(1) in between. I thought I read in one of RS books that by train you should go from Venice to CT then to Florence. Originally we were going to Florence first then the CT. Any recommendations would be great. FYI - It's our first time to Italy!

Posted by
3580 posts

I don't like the "should" of recommendations regarding the order of travel. The CT is often considered a break from cities. It is fairly out-of-the-way from Florence.

If you go to Florence-Siena-Pisa, then the CT, you can catch a train directly to Rome from the CT. This way you won't have any all-day train trips, and you will see a lot of the country.

Posted by
2091 posts

Buon giorno Cathy! When I'm planning a trip, first I figure out which is the most convenient for arrival and departure--as well as the cost of course! Then I use the DeutschBahn site to figure out the best connections and times for train travel as well as keeping in mind getting over jet lag. For example, CT is great for a mini-vacation from your vacation, but this year we're landing in Milan and going directly to CT so we'll use that time for getting over jet lag. For train travel I always try to take the trains that depart and arrive at the best times for my travel partners (and me) as well as the fewest connections. Hope this helps!

Posted by
934 posts

I would suggest starting in Venice for 2 days,train to Florence 3 days(use one day for bus daytrip to Siena which is easly connected by bus.Then use R train(no reservations to Pisa and stop for 4 hours.This allows you to take the pleasant walk to the tower,climb it you want and lunch before walking back.Then R train to LaSpezia where you take the train to the CT town where you are going to stay(2 days).Then back to LaSpezia to catch a train to Rome.The other day could be spent in Orvieto which is on the way to Rome or add a day to the CT.