Please sign in to post.

Venice to Cinque Terra

I would like help with the train system from Venice to Cinque Terra. We are spending a month in Europe in September and one of the legs of our trip we plan to go from Venice to Cinque Terra,, after that we go to Rome and fly out, so, we are comparing train vs. car. Since the distance between Venice and Cinque Terry is so long, we thought an overnight train would be nice. How do I find that information? Thank You.

PS: Recommended town to stay in Cinque Terra? We will probably just have 2-3 days

Posted by
1234 posts

The distance from Venice to Cinque Terre is about 5 1/2 to 6 hours. Depending on which time you choose there are either one or two changes. The overnight ones I saw, on Trenitalia, had 3 or 4 changes. I don't know how much sleep you will get if you have to remain awake to make the correct changes. For my search, I used Venice (be sure to choose Venezia S. Lucia) and Monterosso. https://www.lefrecce.it/B2CWeb/search.do?parameter=searchOutputViewer&cFID=PCpyC5BTLiVc

Also, train rides can be fun!

As regards to which town to stay in, we all have our favorites, for our own reasons. Mine is Vernazza because I get a room with very little steps, close to the harbor, and since I have been there many times I have gotten to know some locals, so I am not treated as a "tourist" but, rather as a friend. All towns are lovely, and only about 5 minutes apart by train, so you can get to them easily, no matter which you stay in.

Book early! They all fill up fast!

Posted by
16894 posts

There is no overnight train. If you look at the timing of those connections, you'll see that you're actually sitting in a train station (not on the train) for several hours of "transfer" time right in the middle of the night.

Posted by
297 posts

You can also plan a stop in the middle and spend a night. Breaks up the train ride and gives you an opportunity to see another town you might not have thought of.

We stay at Il Maestrale in Monterosso. Right in old town close to water, restaurants and shops. Wonderful owners and hosts.
http://locandamaestrale.net/

Posted by
15838 posts

Right, there are no overnight trains so just sit back and enjoy the ride. Trains are much more comfortable than planes, and it's a good opportunity to read, catch up with your journal or just watch the world fly by. Bring a bag of goodies to munch on. I love Italian trains!

You do not want to hassle with a car in the CT. A lot of people who drive leave them in La Spezia as it's just easier to use the trains in that region.

Hotel of choice: La Spiaggia in Monterosso. It's an easy walk from the trains station, and only a couple doors down from Cantina di Miky: great restaurant. Request a seaside room with balcony.