Please sign in to post.

Venice Tides in October 2023?

I've read here that phases of the moon can predict whether tides will be high in Venice, and that October could see more of these generally along with rain. We planned on being there October 18-20, this will be my sister's only trip to Italy. Would we be wise to skip Venice and spend more time in Tuscany instead? We don't want to carry Wellies through Italy. Thanks!

Posted by
4574 posts

It's also worst at the lowest points which leaves a lot of the city with minimal impact. Granted that is St. Mark's square, but they will put up elevated walk ways, they sell shoe covers, and it is Tidal, so limited hours of impact.
When closer to time, download the aqua alta app....Hi!Tide

Posted by
3812 posts

It's not just the moon. Whereas the rain has a minimal impact, it's the moon PLUS strong sea winds blowing towards the lagoon for days.

If it happens and the City decides not to close the Mose dams, you can either avoid San Marco Square in the morning or get some cheap, single-use, wellies.

Posted by
676 posts

Many hotels will also have boots you can borrow, they know this isn't some most tourists bring. Pack a couple bread bags and an extra pair of socks and have fun! Though I would recommend spending a day or 2 longer there, my favorite part of Venice was just wandering around.

Posted by
831 posts

As everyone has indicated the city just kind of rolls with it. Every local knows the tide schedule and severity and will let you know the way they tell you about the weather in other places.

We were there last September and the high water was in when we toured St Mark's. There were walkways over the water at the entrance of the church where we waited in line and then made our way inside. By the time we were done the water and walkways were gone and we walked out across the mosaics that has been covered in water a couple of hours before.

I would never advise skipping Venice if you have a chance to go. It is a magical city and a few hours of avoiding water adds to the adventure and can't take away from the city itself. I'll be there on the 20th as well so I'm taking my own advice here.

Go see Venice and have a great trip,
=Tod

Posted by
41 posts

We were in Venice early October 2022 and only minimal flooding in St Marks, and as tourists it was exciting to see. Venice is a magical city—don’t miss it. Make sure to take an umbrella and warm clothes.