Please sign in to post.

venice - siena - montepulciano - rome - April 2023

good day. i have a few questions for you all.

1. i'm planning on taking a train from venice to siena. i assume trenitalia is the best website to use for tickets? also seems like minimum 3 changes for that trip and hopefully they give you enough time to get from train to train?

2. from siena to montepulciano i plan on taking a bus from siena to chiusi to pick up rental car for a few days in montepulciano region. or would it just make sense to get car in siena and drive to montepulciano?

3. take car back to chiusi (if rented there),then take train to rome. if rented in siena then drop off in chiusi, take train to rome. again use trenitalia for tickets to rome.

i hope this makes sense lol. any advice would be greatly apprecaited.
thank you all
thomas

Posted by
6013 posts

Trenitalia
https://www.trenitalia.com/content/tcom/en.html
They also have an easy to use app

Schedule will be updated Dec 12 but you can look now for same day of week to see what to expect
Schedules don’t change much

1 change- Venice (Venezia Santa Lucia)- fast train to Florence (SM Novella) then change to regional to Siena (or you can take bus to Siena from Florence which drops you in center rather than outside of town where train station is)

You can chose whichever train you like to Siena. Your regional ticket is good for 4 hours.

I'd just pick up in Siena and return to Chiusi. You don't have to return to same place.

We always book thru AutoEurope.com- a US based consolidator with excellent customer service, usually best rates.
All drivers must have an IDP- International Driving Permit which you can get at your local AA for about $20.

Do your homework regarding driving in Italy- ZTLs, speeding, parking etc.

Posted by
2813 posts

Some very good and comprehensive advice from Christine.
Not much to add except to point out that another reason to consider booking with AutoEurope is because they offer a clear explanation of insurance options and costs - an important consideration since the usual credit card coverages don't apply in Italy (though some premium cards do).

Posted by
60 posts

thank you both. im probably going to call autoeurope, when I put siena as pickup and chiusi as drop off nothing came up. worst case scenario i could just take train/bus from siena to chiusi to pick up car.

thank you both again for your sound advice.

Posted by
6013 posts

It may just be too early to see offerings/rates for next May

The are extremely knowledgeable and helpful so a call can’t hurt!

Posted by
2813 posts

You might also check the autoeurope.eu website as well as AutoEurope.com. Can sometimes find better deals there.
If Siena to Chiusi won't work you could consider collecting the vehicle in Florence and driving down to Siena along the very scenic Chiantigiana road. You can then park cheaply in the underground lot at the train station, or alternatively at a lot near the stadium that many here recommend.
Unless you're very comfortable driving a manual shifter I suggest paying a little extra to ensure that you get an automatic- it'll save you a lot of aggravation.

Posted by
77 posts

Great advice on here already. I just have a question. Why skip Florence? You could take an early fast train from Venice to Florence, have the day in Florence and take a late afternoon train to Siena. According to the Trenitalia app there are multiple train times and the fare is only around 9 euros. Just a thought :)

Posted by
60 posts

hey Rena, i've actually been to Florence before and we rented an AIRBNB in Siena so we are skipping Florence this time. thanks again everyone for your solid advice :)