Please sign in to post.

Venice Regatta Sept 2014

We just discovered that we will be in Venice when the Historic Regatta Race/Parade will take place on September 7th.
I have been looking for more info about the race, (ex: time table of events) but am coming up with nothing, other than pics, and a history, and some general info. But no times for the parade or race(s) are given. Does anyone know any more info, or at least could tell me that it starts in the morning, noon etc? This is our only FULL day in Venice, and though I don't want to miss this special event, we have a lot of other things on our list to do that day also!!

Thanks,
Donna

Posted by
7391 posts

Hi Donna,

You realize this is Italy, so the start time will be exactly.... "when it starts". : ) Here's the details listed below. We were there three years ago. There were grandstand-type seating along the route, but we went to the spot near S. Angelo on the Grande Canal to sit at water's edge. We saw almost all of it, and that location was easy to avoid the crowd when we wanted to leave the Regatta.

Programme

2014 edition
SUNDAY 7th SEPTEMBER
Starting from the afternoon

HISTORICAL AND SPORT WATER PAGEANT
parade along the Grand Canal by historical crafts with costumed crews, boats and gondolas of the Venetian rowing associations (Voga alla Veneta).

• YOUNG ROWERS' TWIN-OARED PUPPARINI REGATTA
  • WOMEN'S TWIN-OARED MASCARETE REGATTA
  • SIX-OARED CAORLINE REGATTA
    • TWIN-OARED GONDOLINI REGATTA
Posted by
487 posts

My husband and I were there in 2010 for the regatta and it was a great to see all the different gondolas. One thing to keep in mind is that while it starts in the afternoon, the best viewing spots will start filling up earlier. We had several days in Venice, so once we started noticing people starting to grab spots, we were able to find an awesome spot on the side of the Rialto bridge, but there was a fair amount of waiting around. Since you are more limited on time, you may have to rank this event with the other things you wanted to see and decide which is more important. Have fun!