Please sign in to post.

Venice-Ravenna

The forum has been quite helpful so I’ll try again. Rick Steve’s book suggests up to two trains an hour from Venice to Ravenna with stops in bologna or Ferrara. I can only find about 2 connections all day on Trenitalia even when I include intercity and regional trains.
Any advice?

Posted by
3812 posts

Pick a day of travel before June 11 / Pick an early hour of departure from the drop down menu.

Posted by
6442 posts

Just checked a random day late April and I see options almost every hour

Are you searching on the Trenitalia site?
What date?

Posted by
8202 posts

We took a cruise and they dropped us in Ravenna last June.

We then took a city bus into the center city where we picked up a train. We had to make a connection to another train that took us on into Venice. Seems like it was about 70 miles in total.

We found taking the train to be somewhat of a hassle since we had to haul luggage.

If someone is flying from the U.S. and needed to pickup the cruise in Ravenna, they can fly into Milan and the train goes all the way to Ravenna in about 3 1/2 hours. It's the easiest way to get to Ravenna.

Posted by
3812 posts

Unfortunately by the current schedules there is only one direct train Each day from Milan to Ravenna and it doesn't depart from the airport station.

The closest airport to Ravenna is Bologna, but no airline flies there from the US.

Any advice?

Pick a day of travel before June 11 to see the full schedules. And an early time of travel from the drop down menu.

Posted by
13 posts

I was looking July 2 but also checked weekdays on trenitalia. I ended up renting a car just for that leg
Thanks for the advice

Posted by
6442 posts

It’s too early for July 2
Schedule will update June 11

You really didn’t need to rent that car
There will be plenty of trains that day

Posted by
6442 posts

I’d advise you to pick a connection thru Ferrara-much easier than a transfer in Bologna

There are trains about every hour from Ferrara to Ravenna

Posted by
1 posts

Hi all looking for transportation recommendations from Ravenna Porto corsini to Venice mestre

TIA

Posted by
6442 posts

amatiello

You will get more responses if you post your particular question in your own thread

There are a few threads addressing this transfer

Here is one
You would search for a train to Venezia Mestre from Ravenna

Posted by
16683 posts

July 2 is a Sunday so you can look at a Sunday in the next few weeks. The schedule will change little if at all.
Right now there are regional trains every hour at 40 minutes past, like 9:40, 10:40, etc. right up,to 19:40, the last train of the day. These all change at either Bologna or Ferrara. Like ChristineH, I prefer to change at Ferrara, because the Bologna station is huge and complicated.

Interspersed with those trains there are a few combos that start with a Frecce train. These cost a bit more. These are fine if they change at Ferrara, but I would definitely avoid Bologna for this combination. The Frecce trains come into a deep level, and finding one’s way from there to the regular tracks at ground level can be challenging.

Posted by
27349 posts

The Bologna connections will cost more because of the extra miles covered. I wouldn't want to pay Freecia rates for that.