Please sign in to post.

Venice or Rome first ?

Hey guys I will be in Switzerland and I will be going to Both Venice and Rome question is what city should go to first ? Guessing Rome might be easier but after I visit Italy I will be heading back to the states. I think in order for me to leave Italy I will have to leave from Rome correct ?

Posted by
663 posts

There are airports near both cities, so that really isnt a concern. Although most people find it easier and cheaper to fly home from Rome.

Posted by
15156 posts

Yes.
It's easier if you fly back to America from Rome.
It's a much larger airport hub, one of the largest in Europe in fact, therefore there are more flight options. In addition the Rome airport is only 35 min from the city center ( by either train or taxi) whereas the Venice airport is in the mainland and to get there from Venice city center, in the middle of the lagoon, it's an expensive and time consuming effort (especially when you deal with early morning flights), since it involves traveling on boats.

Posted by
16893 posts

If you travel by train to Venice and Rome, then it's more logical to visit Venice first and proceed roughly north-to-south. If you fly from Switzerland to Italy, then it makes less time/cost difference.