Please sign in to post.

Venice or Cinque Terre?

Hi all,
my wife and I have been to Rome, Florence and Amalfi Coast...
now trying to decide where to go next>..

advice? thoughts? suggestions?

thanks!

Posted by
342 posts

Cinque Terre is fantastic, but how can you not do Venice?

Posted by
649 posts

Not sure how many days you are planning on spending but I agree with Jeff -Venice for sure .You could combine with Verona and possibly the Dolomites. Happy planning

Posted by
15678 posts

Depends on what you want to do when you get there 'cuz they're VERY different destinations. It also depends on time of year: I wouldn't recommend the CT for the winter months.

One is a better location for hikers, outdoor enthusiasts, swimming, folks with stout knees. The villages are REALLY small and don't offer a ton of things to do.

The other is better for folks who enjoy museums, architecture, history (not that you can't get some of that in the CT too), island exploration and stuff like that.

So what did you enjoy doing on the Amalfi Coast?

To add: with a week to 10 days, I'd go with Venice. While it's possible to do some day tripping from the CT, those opportunities are greater from Venezia BUT with 10 days to work with, why not do both?

Posted by
585 posts

Puglia and souther Italy is still a relatively unknown region.. Matera is an interesting town to visit with its new city and the older cave dwellings cleverly repurposed. Bari, Lecce and Brindisi are all interesting stops. A region where a car is needed to get the most from it. Also nice beachside towns and villages.

Or Sicily is a great destination, lots of variety, interesting food, long and interesting history - Greeks, Romans, Arabs and Venetians have all left their mark on Sicily..again car needed to get the best of it.

Lombardy and Piedmont in northwest Italy are still relatively undiscovered, big cities,Turin and Milan or smaller towns in the mountains.

Venice or CT? For me it is Venice every time.

Posted by
11027 posts

Do you plan to spend the entire time in one place or as an add on to some other destination?

Venice vs CT is like choosing between steak or cake. Each is good , but not really interchangeable

Posted by
4209 posts

I don't really understand the question. But, if you have a week, Venice. If you have ten days, you can do two destinations, but I would not necessarily make it CT. That would depend on flight options, if you actually like hiking, which month, etc.
Do you want to stick to trains or are you open to driving?
I'd look at all the flight options, nail down if it's a week or ten days, and flip through some guide books to look for inspiration. What did you like on your previous trip?

Posted by
76 posts

There is nowhere else in the world like Venezia. Why do you think RS devotes so much in writing about this grand place? Just remember that Venice is best early morning (for sightseeing) and late evening ( for strolling and solitude). Please don't visit Puglia...I'm saving it for myself LOL!

Posted by
165 posts

Having read only your topic the answer is Venice.
Now I’ll read your post…yep still Venice.
The sheer volume of beauty, art, architecture, historical importance and culture means there is so much more to see, do and experience there. I’ve been to Venice 8 times, CT once. Yes, I enjoyed the CT with its charming villages and beautiful position & views but Venice is endlessly fascinating. Heading back in September. Have a wonderful trip whichever you choose.