Please sign in to post.

Venice or Cinque Terre

I'm headed to Italy in March. Right now I am booked into Florence and then a trip to Cinque Terre - I am wondering if I should change that and go to Venice instead of Cinque Terre. I didn't book Venice because of the water issue. I am also going to Rome, Naples and Amalfi Coast. My husband and I have 4 weeks in Italy that includes 10 days staying on the Amalfi Coast. Thank you.

Posted by
1059 posts

Cinque Terre is probably more a summer location. Venice is magical all year. Maybe a day trip from Florence might be enough time in the Cinque Terre?

Posted by
1097 posts

They are quite different, but having done both I would much rather go back to Cinque Terre.

Venice has become a run-down, dumpy, cartoon of its former self. Crowded, dirty, grafitti-ridden. You'll get some nice pictures, but you'll leave feeling like you need a shower to wash the "ick" off you.

Cinque Terre is picturesque, relaxing and more authentic. While its still quite touristy, its miles behind Venice.

Posted by
3812 posts

What water issue? There has been another high tide no media has told about?

Posted by
6788 posts

The CT and Amalfi Coast have a few things in common (crowds, coastlines, cute-little-towns charm), so there's at least a little overlap on those.

Venice is one-of-a-kind. One could also advocate to "see Venice while you still can". While the overall long-term trend for Venice's troubles is not encouraging, the worst events are isolated cases, and you can (usually) still find it enjoyable and crisis-free.

Given the above, I'd head for Venice over CT.

Posted by
5442 posts

We love Venice, but spend most of our time away from St. Mark's Square & the Rialto Bridge areas. The small, quiet neighborhoods on the back canals are so beautiful, and peaceful all day.
Safe travels!

Posted by
3961 posts

I've been to both CT and Venice. I have visited both in warm weather. That said, in March I would vote for Venice. It's lovely and best seen off the beaten path. We spent a week there in 2018 and enjoyed every magical moment. Our daughter was in Venice last March and the weather was fine, & less crowds.

Posted by
303 posts

My husband and I have been to both places. We loved Venice! We did not feel that we needed to "wash the ick" off of us. We did not spend a lot of time where hoardes of cruise ship passengers congregate during the day. We stayed in a lovely hotel minutes from the San Stae vaporetto stop which is a quieter area. We explored the back streets and side canals of this area and fell in love with Venice from this vantage point. We had glorious weather the last week of April of 2018.

On the other hand, from Venice we went to the CT. It seemed it was harder to escape the crowds. The train that connects the 5 villages was always packed. Once we reached the villages, there was little to do since we aren't hikers. We walked up and down the main streets of each, grabbed lunch and dodged the rain. It poured for 2 days while we were there, so that did temper our enthusiasm for the CT. It might help to investigate the temperature ranges for the CT in March as well as when the ferries run. We did take a ferry down to Porte Venere which we enjoyed. Hopefully they would be running for your visit.

Posted by
17244 posts

We were far more bothered by crowds in CT than we ever have been in Venice. But in March, crowds should not be a problem in either place.

Posted by
11504 posts

What water issue in Venice? We have been to Venice a few times and the CT once. Venice is unique. Go to Venice.

Posted by
5330 posts

I agree that Venice would be a better choice than CT. Crowds shouldn't be a huge problem in either place at that time if year, but the weather might be. What would you do if it was wet and blustery in the CT?

I have no idea what the PP encountered to feel the need to "wash the ick" off him. I also feel there is a difference between ancient and run down. It's a one if a kind city and we love it. Especially once you get away from the Grand canal, S. Marco, and the Rialto areas.

As for the flood a few months ago - Venetians are old hands at dealing with this - they've been doing it for centuries.

Posted by
7737 posts

Because it will be March and because you're already going to the Amalfi Coast, skip the CT. Go to Venice.

Posted by
1097 posts

I've been to Venice twice, 2006 and 2016, staying in a RS-recommended area far from the crowds of Rialto or San Marco (the accommodation itself was great). I loved it the first time, but saw a definite decline the second. More dirt. More boarded-up buildings. More graffiti. More cruise ships. More tacky tourist trinkets. More crowds. Fewer locals.

Posted by
5458 posts

If you are already doing Amalfi, then definitely Venice. Venice is hotspot for a reason. Venture off the main path between St. Marks and Rialto and you'll really be in awe of the beauty of the city.

Posted by
32325 posts

I would normally recommend the Cinque Terre over Venice, but as you'll be travelling in March the C.T. may be somewhat quiet and some businesses may not be open for the season yet. If you haven't seen Venice yet, then it's worth a visit, but you may face the same issue there as in the C.T., the cruise ship hordes.

Posted by
5330 posts

but you may face the same issue there as in the C.T., the cruise ship
hordes.

Actually, Cruise ships would likely not be much of a problem in March. April will see the hordes begin their invasion.

Posted by
1321 posts

Agree with since you're heading to Amalfi Coast skip CT and head to Venice

Posted by
944 posts

If you are going to the Amalfi Coast anyway, then I'd skip CT and go to Venice. The Amalfi and CT are really quite similar. If you flipped the photos, right/left of the towns of either area, I doubt many people could even tell the difference between Vernazza and Positano. Venice is still a mind mindbogglingly, unique and beautiful place, to experience. You just have to understand the "Guts." By guts, I mean the main foot paths that everyone uses, including the Cruise Ship visitors. These are always crowded and have become Disneyland like. All you have to do is get one block over, or use a different path,... a little longer walk, and you'll have a authentic Venice all to yourself. Water is not a problem in Venice: Its the very reason for Venice. All the Alta Aquas are predictable and charted, on line, down to the day and time in tide charts.

Posted by
59 posts

You have all convinced me - Venice is the place to visit so I am doing my research now and will alter my plans for a visit to Venice. Thank you for all the great responses!

Posted by
944 posts

When we did one, two week trip back in 2006, starting in Florence, with a day trip to Rome, but ending up in Venice, we took the train to Milan, on the way to Venice and had four/five hours there between train transfers. This was enough time to see the Milan Duomo Roof and the Sforza Castle. In your original post its not clear what your, "grand tour," is for the 4 weeks and if you need to return to Florence or fly out from some other city: This is info we would need. Cause you could, go Florence, to Milan, to Venice. Then do something very strange, by going to Revenna, and then follow the Adriatic Coast, down and to Potenza, as a cross over, and then Amalfi, Naples and Rome, or back to Florence. We never get 4 weeks, so I'm jealous. :) Once you are out of the big cities, there is no bad Italy. :)

Posted by
59 posts

Thanks for your reply Francis. Actually on a whim my husband and I (we both love traveling Europe), decided to fly into Amsterdam for a few days and then train it through Germany (Berlin, Munich and Bavarian Alps) while spending most of our time in Italy. Verona, Venice, Florence, Rome, Naples spending 3 days each in these place and then ending up renting a villa on the Amalfi Coast for 2 weeks heading back to Amsterdam the end of March. 6 weeks total. I've been doing a lot of research which is part of the fun putting together a trip. We like museums, local restaurants, food, drinks, catching the back roads and staying in places that aren't real trendy. We also like to just sit, relax and look at the sea.