Please sign in to post.

Venice Next Week

We will be in Venice for three nights Sept 14-16.
1. Is there an optimal time to visit St. Mark's? My main priority is viewing the mosaics so lighting is important.
2. Are mosquitos a problem in late summer-early fall? We will also visit Padova, Verona, and Colli Euganei.
3. Is there new regulation requiring you to have your passport with you at all times?
Thanks Brad

Posted by
7343 posts

Brad, I would try to see St. Mark's between noon and 2pm if you want the most light. Also, if you go the last 15 minutes, they will route you out the side exit which has a few more mosaics to view.

We were just there and only had a few mosquito bites....and they tend to like me.

I wore my passport the whole time in my money belt - both in Italy and France. We saw more military in some of the train stations, etc.

Posted by
16401 posts

The mosaics are normally illuminated between 11:30 and 12:30. We booked our "skip the line" entry before 11:30 so we would be already inside when the lights were turned on. I went upstairs for the best view--it was beautiful.

Posted by
32921 posts

Is there new regulation requiring you to have your passport with you at all times?

No. It is an old one. You are required in Italy to have your identity card or official means of ID with you at all times. The only official means of ID a tourist from outside the EU (non military) has is their passport.

Posted by
3941 posts

We must be lucky with mosquitoes - we've been there mid Sept to late Sept on 4 occasions and never had an issue with mosquitoes (Florence on the other hand...ugh).