Please sign in to post.

Venice Lodging

I am traveling through Venice for 1.5 days. We are taking the train from Florence. I am currently booked at the AC Marriott near the train station. I figure we will venture into the main area when we get there for walking and dinner. The AC Marriott is 2.5 KM from main area. We have a full day Saturday to explore. We are them meeting a tour at the airport early Sunday morning. Anyone who is familiar with Venice would you be OK staying near the Train station and venturing into the main part or would you suggest staying in the main area for the 2 nights? Thank you

Posted by
5687 posts

I just got back from my 4th stay in Venice. The last two have been at the same little budget hotel near the train station. It's not the most exciting area, but it works fine for me. I'm an avid walker so don't mind long walks in Venice. I didn't use the vaporetto boats this last trip but have used them in the past - they don't necessarily save you much time but of course they save your feet. You can take one of these boats from near the train station easily through the Grand Canal to Rialto, San Macro, etc. The #2 boat is faster; the #1 is slower and perhaps better for a scenic cruise (if you can find a seat among the crowd of other tourists during the day).

I would argue that that there is no "main area" in Venice - but there are popular areas for tourists like Rialto and San Marco. They are mobbed during the days but much quieter at night. If you want a scenic walk from the train station to Rialto or San Marco, cross the bridge right across from the train station and walk that way through the maze of narrow streets and piazzas. Follow the yellow signs "Per Rialto" or "Per San Macro" to find your way. This route is much more scenic and satisfying than walking the relatively straight Strada Nuova to Rialto - that route is very touristy.

If I were going to stay for a week, I might stay elsewhere than near the train station, but for a short stay staying there seems perfectly fine for me.

Posted by
20 posts

Thank you very much. Appreciate the feedback. I actually thought I was meeting the tour at the train station - but turns out it is at the airport.

Posted by
2707 posts

No advantage I see staying near the train station. The least scenic area in Venice, long walk or ride to St. Marks, Rialto, art museums all the places you want to wander. Check out The Hotel Flora. Nice small place and you are close to everything. Easy to get to from the train station via vaporetto or a water taxi (expensive). Walkable depending on how much luggage you have.

Posted by
60 posts

Try to get to the Isle of Murno, great glassworks & quaint canals.

Posted by
12 posts

At the end of March we stayed at Hotel Al Pointe Mocenigo based on Rock’s recommendation and Trip Advisor reviews. We couldn’t have been more pleased. It’s a 10 minute pleasant walk north of Rialto Bridge in a quiet neighborhood and accessible by water taxi or vaporetta. The room, breakfast, helpful front desk, and ambience were all perfect. Reasonably priced too. Highly recommend this boutique hotel.