Please sign in to post.

Venice in March

I’d like to spend 3 weeks solo in Venice. I was there once for 36 hours ten years ago. My question is whether to do it in mid March would be okay. I’m understanding that it’ll be cold but not freezing. Has anyone spent time there n March? I’m from Seattle. As long as it’s the gray, cold, rainy, windy, dark, it’d be better than what we got in Seattle but as pleasant as Venice surely can be at other times of the year. Any thoughts?

Posted by
17225 posts

Hi Denny—-we were in Venice for 4 days last March, around the 5th-9th, The weather was very nice most of the time—-sunny, cool (60’s) and a bit breezy at times. We had a light drizzle, not really rain, for an hour or so on 2 occasions. The crowds were way down, which made it especially pleasant.

Of course the weather could be different this coming March, but if you have 3 weeks it is likely to be nice a good part of that time. We have also been there in early April (5 days) and October (the whole month) and the March weather was pretty similar to what we experienced at other times—-but the crowds were less.

Posted by
498 posts

Hi Lola,
That was so nice of you to respond and share your experience. I’ve been losing sleep over this. I’ve been thinking about going back for some time. “If I don’t do it in March, how will I be if I have to wait another year?” I ask myself. I usually go to France in the fall for several weeks…in any case, it can’t be worse than three weeks in Seattle (usually without much sun, I need to remind myself). I’ve got to decide soon and book my air ticket. I already have a place to stay.
Happy holidays,
Denny

Posted by
419 posts

I love Venice in Jan. the city is perfect with fog and or high water. The fog makes the town feel mystical. I've been in March the weather was so I nice I slept with the window open. April there was so many tourists, but the weather was fine. J

Posted by
5409 posts

I'd say go.
Note that Easter is the end of March , so the crowds will be coming in the weeks before and after Easter. How important weather is depends on what your activities will be- you can go to museums, churches, and concerts on rainy days.
We were in Venice this past May, 2023, when unseasonal rain descended upon Europe. Our three days were supposed to be wandering and sipping wine outside along the canals, as we had done the major sites previously. We had 48 hours nonstop rain. We did make lemonade and visited indoor sights we had never appreciated before. But even in the rain, Venice is beautiful, and we rode the vaporettos up and down the Grand Canal. The climate is changing and there's no guarantee of set weather patterns anymore in any season. Just do it!
I was surprised to find many of Murano's small glass shops didn't open on rainy days.
I bought a poncho which fit over my backpack and hung past my knees. These were on sale everywhere for about 5 euros. Surprisingly, there were lots of puddles which didn't drain into the canals, so bring solid waterproof footwear.
Have a great trip and safe travels!

Posted by
5141 posts

...climate is changing...no guarantee of set weather patterns anymore...Just do it!

Agree 100%. Three weeks in Venice without the usual crowds would be delightful regardless of the weather.

Posted by
498 posts

It’s really a reality check being in these forums with a specific concern. I’ve got a lot of travel books n Venice, mostly ebooks, which don’t give me more than not very experientially based broad generalizations. I hadn’t thought that global warming could be changing weather patterns globally. I think I will wear my Merrell waterproof, rubberized soled hiking shoes and a rainproof windbreaker. I take it ponchos can be bought locally, the aqua alta being so common.

That said, I’ll be sticking to my original plans and going in March instead of waiting around for a “better” month even if that would mean in 2025! I wonder if Lufthansa would accept modifications in dates though. Pretty good fares Seattle Frankfurt Venice.

Posted by
498 posts

Thank you everyone. I feel lucky now. You pushed over my "BUMP.". I was backing out but now threw myself back in, fully, because of your encouragement. Just booked Lufthansa flight RT. Will have time now to read Thomas Mann and see Tintoretto's Scuolo Grande di San Rocco.

Posted by
728 posts

Yea! So happy to hear you will definitely go.
It’ll be wonderful and the Merrells will be very practical.
Yes, the rain comes and magically the vendors of ponchos and umbrellas appear.

Posted by
498 posts

Just thought of one caveat: Is leaving early the 28th of March, will that allow me to avoid the Easter tourists? I know it’ll be the 31st of March but also that in Italy, Easter is celebrated both before and after the actual day.

Posted by
15768 posts

You will never ever avoid tourists in Venice! Accept that and learn to adapt. There are many parts of Venice that tourists hardly ever venture to and you'll have plenty of time to explore them in 3 weeks (I am so jealous!!). You'll also learn quickly when to visit the parts that are most frequented by tourists.

While the temps don't look too bad, some parts of the city can be very cold because they are exposed to the cold cold winds. Take warm clothes, good rain gear (I prefer a poncho because it covers my backpack and leaves both hands free) and a spare pair of shoes in case one pair gets really wet.

I can't imagine 3 entire weeks in Venice without lots of sunshine, which I've had over several 3-4 day visits in February and once in March including many hours at outdoor cafes.

Posted by
5141 posts

there are many parts of Venice that tourists hardly ever venture to...

Chani is right! Just walk down most any side street in a direction that has few people. Before you know it, you'll be in some lovely back area neighborhood and have it all to yourself. Don't worry about getting lost -- that's what you really want to do to really enjoy Venice. And since you're on an island, how lost can you be? Eventually you'll find your way back.

Posted by
2571 posts

Denny, please come back and tell us how it went. I'm planning Venice for March 2025.

Posted by
498 posts

A large dose of realism (and practicality) go a long ways to making a trip like go optimally, I know!