Please sign in to post.

venice in June

Seem to be encountering a problem securing decent rooms for a decent price in Venice. Need 2 rooms for 2 families, your suggestions welcomed. As an alternative, does it make sense to change our plans and stay in Florence for 2 days and take a day trip to Venice and a day trip to Pisa (which is our destination after Venice before we go on to Rome)??? Thank you.

Posted by
1201 posts

Venice is pricy and June is peak season. www.venere.com for hotels Consider renting an apartment instead. Pros: more room, prices competitive with a couple of rooms in hotel, have a kitchen. You can look for a 2 bedrrom or more. Cons: May have 3 or 4 night minimums in summer. We have used these folks in the past with good luck: www.veniceapartments.org Here are some other sources: www.viewsonvenice.com
www.vrbo.com

Posted by
359 posts

June is high season but I would think there would be something available but Venice is pricey I would not do Venice as a day trip from Florence, too much time wasted traveling If you don't find anything you like in Venice you might try staying in Verona
if you choose to skip Venice you could add time to Florence and day trip to Pisa

Posted by
7737 posts

What kind of price are you hoping for? Venice is more expensive than most places in Italy but it's worth it.

Posted by
524 posts

The Helpline is great for itinerary suggestions. If you could provide us with the entire trip we can work with you on it. You may already know this but . . . When you say 2 families, are you talking about 2 couples? If you are talking about 2 couples with kids, you are going to have to be sure you are booking hotel rooms with the correct number of beds. In Europe, the hotels charge by the number of people and kids in the room. Also, it is unlikely that a modest hotel room with have space for more than a double bed with a cot in it. As the PP mentioned, don't come to Venice as a day trip. You and your kids will love Venice as it is so different from any other place. Just get away from crowded St. Marks Square and into the neighborhoods.
Get out early and late when the day trippers are gone and take your nap in the heat of the day. IMHO, skip Pisa as the tower is the only anyone wants to see. Enjoy the trip with your families! Bobbie

Posted by
62 posts

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions. I will continue pursuing Venice for 2 nights and just accept the higher than planned expense! It sounds like it will be worth it!

Posted by
96 posts

Just my opinion . . .I've been to Pisa and I wouldn't pass up some of the other beautiful towns in order to day trip to Pisa. You will be done in about an hour. If you still want to go, you should come up with another destination to add to the day. I think Siena would be a great option.