Please sign in to post.

Venice in December

My husband,15 year old son & self will do a day trip to Venice from Verona in mid December. I know it could be bone-chillingly cold by then but what do you suggest we do & see for the day if it's too cold to spend long on the canals?

Posted by
479 posts

Lesley, I haven't been to Venice in December, but I have been there in March. The cold isn't so cold as it's right around 32F, but the dampness and humidity work their way into your very soul and freeze the !*#$ out of it. Being on or off the canals makes no difference. It's just flat out cold (and this is coming from someone who has lived his entire life in the upper Midwest of the US).

My advice is to take in as many museums as you can as they are indoors. Also, find sunny spots to sit on a patio and drink a hot beverage if you can find one. The most logical (and expensive) spots for a warm beverage are right on St. Mark's Square near the cathedral. Also, there is plenty of shopping to do. Duck into some stores to warm up. There are some small department stores if you're lucky enough to find them.

Other than the weather you should have a fantastic time in Venice. It's quite a unique experience.

Posted by
423 posts

Lesley, I have done a bit of research on this because I will also be in Venice from December 19-23. I have seen pictures posted with snow dusted roof tops in December. It looked magical. I am excited to explore the city with fewer crowds. I will attend La Boheme one evening, take in the Accademia and I see that there was a Christmas market from Dec 3 - 24 last year so I am hoping that it is an anual event.

Posted by
37 posts

I am also going to Venice in December. I'll be there from Dec. 26-29. I didn't realize it would be so cold. I hope it won't put a damper on getting out and exploring the city.

Posted by
576 posts

We were in Venice last New Year's Day (for a total of 4 days.) It was a little bit misty one day (no need for umbrellas) but otherwise the temps were very mild...maybe about 55F. With our silk long undies,lightweight winter coats, hats and gloves, we were out walking all over Venice, riding the vaporettos endlessly, completely enjoying this magical city. It was very comfortable. Not bone chilling by a long shot.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks guys
My sister was in Italy last year at the same time and had really mild weather everywhere except for Venice where she said it was so cold it was painful! Who knows maybe we'll be like Terry and fluke a really mild day.
Thanks
Lesley