Please sign in to post.

Venice in December

Has anyone gone to Venice between Christmas and New years? Our family had all reservations made and. paid for 2 weeks in Italy in July. We had to cancel last week due to unexpected family medical reasons.. The airlines didnt give refunds but allowed us to move our iintinery dates.. same cities, different dates. .. Flying into Venice and return from Naples .. since we have 3 teenagers with us on this trip, we had to choose two weeks at Christmas. Flying out of Atlanta on Christmas and arriving in Venice December 26th.
Does anybody know how the weather is if you’ve been in Venice the last week of December?

Posted by
27640 posts

Venice could be damp and chilly (raw) at that time of year, but you have a significant time constraint, so the question is whether you want to take advantage of landing in Venice to see the city or are weather-focused (as I am) and want to leave that area rapidly and spend all your time farther south. I will caution you that many folks who try to see Venice in a day end up hating the place because they spend all their time in the mobbed zones between the train station, the Rialto Bridge and Piazza San Marco.

No matter where you end up, everyone needs a waterproof rainjacket (or longer waterproof raincoat if you're willing to drag that sort if thing around) and a warm layer.

I always want to know how bad the weather might be where I'm headed, so I take a careful look at the actual, historical, day-by-day weather statistics on the website timeanddate.com. The following link is for December 2022 in Venice. Weather varies a great deal from year to year, so it's important to look at more than one year's worth of historical data. I normally check the most recent five years. To display data for December in other years, use the pull-down box at the right above the graph.

Timeanddate.com -- Venice weather December 2022

There's no right or wrong answer here. Wherever you go, it will get dark quite early, limiting your outdoor sightseeing to some degree. But Venice is a magical place.

Based on my experience in the Rome/Naples area back in February and March, I'd warn you that it may be quite chilly until nearly noon, then there may be a very few hours when you might want to peel off a layer or two of clothing. So definitely think about how you'll deal with those loose articles of clothing. I don't mind looking like a frump, so I just tie jackets around my waist. Others would definitely prefer a small backpack--though security features would be needed if money, credit cards, cameras or electronic gear are to be stashed inside.

Posted by
5436 posts

We were just in Venice in May with unseasonably wet, non-stop rain. Make sure you have a waterproof cover - or large poncho- for your backpack and a plastic cover for your suitcase, and waterproof shoes , as the puddles are everywhere. If you're doing indoor activities, it's do-able, but if your emphasis is being and wandering, it's not much fun. We made a lot of lemonade.
Safe travels.