Please sign in to post.

Venice Hotels

We are travelling for 2 nights to Venice and are looking to stay at Hotel Bernardi or Hotel Locanda (as both are recommended in Rick Steves' Italy 2008 book.) We have read a lot of mixed reviews on tripadvisor.com (negative reviews on Bernardi) so we wanted to see if anyone has stayed at either of these hotels or have any advice? Thank you so much for your responses!

Posted by
191 posts

Hi Jen, We stayed at the Hotel Locanda in late May this year. Everything said about the place, quiet location, etc. we found to be factual. We had a great time (two days) in Venice and the Hotel and it's great location contributed to our experience.

Tom

Posted by
7737 posts

I wonder which Hotel Locanda you're referring to. "Locanda" in Italian just means "Inn". There are, for example, the following in Venice: Hotel Locanda Saliera, Hotel Locanda Gaffano, Hotel Locanda Fiorita, and many many more.

Posted by
3 posts

My apologies! Locanda Silva (southeast of the Rialto Bridge).

Posted by
191 posts

Right you are Michael and I should have picked up on that myself: We stayed at the Locanda Casa Querini also mentioned in Rick Steve's guide book. We were pleased with that accommodation and would recommend it to others. Decent breakfast, helpful staff, quiet location close to St. Marks square.

Posted by
705 posts

Don't know either but can highly recommend Pensione Accademia in Dorsoduro. It is less than 5 minutes walk from the vaporetto stop and easy to get to with luggage - only one bridge to cross. Quiet, great breakfast, private garden and a courtyard out the front and lovely common areas. Staff were excellent too. I had a room at the front of the hotel overlooking the canal with a bit of a view of the Grand canal too.

Posted by
10 posts

I'm not familiar with either of these hotels but we have previously stayed at Pensione La Calcina (Rick's book) and it was wonderful. Have you considered an apt which would allow for a living area and kitchen? In May we spent 3 nights in Venice just a few steps from San Marco. We enjoyed having the living area to relax and having breakfast and some lunches on the terrace. You can find many Venice apt options on vrbo.com. If you would like to know more about the specific apt where we stayed you can email me.