Please sign in to post.

Venice Hotel

Of course, at the last minute, we have decided to arrive for a one night stay in Venice before embarking on a Med Cruise (in case anything goes wrong with our flight arrangements). Does anyone have any suggestions on hotels in Venice during the end of August? I'm thinking a nice small family run European hotel would be a great experience. Are they expensive and do they operate the same as American hotels? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Posted by
349 posts

Check out hotel Rossi ( near train station but on quiet side street

Posted by
1003 posts

Just returned last week from 3 weeks in Italy and spent 6 nights at one of Hotel Campiello's apartments which are lovely and a few steps from their hotel. Had stayed in another one of their apt. in Aug. 2007 so knew what to expect.(have not stayed in their hotel) The location is really perfect and is just a few minutes from St. Mark's square right off the Riva and easy to find. Have also stayed at Pensione Guerrato in 2005, which is just a few min. from the Rialto Bridge, on the Rialto mkt. side and is very nice too and also easy to find. Stayed at Hotel Rialto right on the Grand Canal in 2002 but think it is not worth the money. Enjoy Venice!!

Posted by
3313 posts

Small, family run hotels in Venice are not very much like American hotels. Rooms are usually smaller and casually furnished. Depending on how much you pay, you may or may not have air conditioning, you might (at more budget hotels) share a bathroom.

Europe Through the Back Door has a great introduction to European hotels and you can read it online for free at Google Books.

Posted by
16 posts

Lorine,
I just spent 6 weeks in Venice (and still didn't want to leave). I was taking Italian classes and was in an apartment for a month. The other part of the time, I split between the Hostel (www.hihostels.org--very dormlike but cheap, 22 euros a night/person) and the Hotel Doge (email address: hoteldoge@libero.it). It's a family run hotel and mother and daughter are very very nice. I had a single room (without a bath but with a/c for 55 euros). I peaked into the double room but don't know the price. It's at the Riva di Biasio vaporetto stop (one away from the station) and around the corner from Campo San Giacomo.

I've also stayed at the Fondazione Levi which I like a lot near the Accademia (www.fondazionelevi.org). I think their prices are cheaper than the Hotel Doge. Good Luck!