Please sign in to post.

Venice hotel

Hello
Only 3 nights, really 2 but booking a 3 rd w late arrival so we have somewhere to go right as we get off cruise ship. Don’t want to walk around w luggage and have no place to go.
We will be getting a train at Santa Lucia when we leave. Somewhat close but don’t want to be right near station. Any suggestions? Would like breakfast and close to fun area for sights and food. Do we walk to the train or are there other options? We like nicer hotels but not stupid money. Thank you.

Posted by
2299 posts

hey hey mdghiozzi
are there only 2 of you and what are you dates? how nice is nice and budget, the stars of hotels in europe are not like the USA. it's by what amenities they have, elevator/lift, 24 hour front desk, shared bathrooms, balcony, views, breakfast, A/C, location to name a few.
b&b Da Nina Venice
hotel agli artisti
ai due fanali
la perla
hotel carlton capri
we have stayed at charlton capri, across grand canal down an alleyway which is quiet. few other times we've been in apartments. you can ask for early check-in if available or ask hotel to hold luggage till you can check in. there are lockers for luggage at train station.
these places are close by train station which is convenient when leaving. you can look further into island. just know you will be pulling/pushing luggage over cobblestone walkways, narrow streets, up and down bridges and steps/stairs. pack light.
couple things that may interest you:
schezzini.it alessandro does a bar tour with wine/history/appetizers
streaty.com
wear comfy shoes, lots of walking, getting lost and finding you way back again, vaporetto or gondola rides, seeing burano/murano, stopping in a plaza to people watch, grab a bite to eat or a drink.
you'll get other places to check out, another important thing is non refundable or refundable, check and read the fine print. if you are far out for booking, they may not have their calendars up and running, save it and check 6 to 8 months out. with the virus still amongst us, no entry for americans, be careful when booking anything. hope this helps somewhat.
aloha

Posted by
5697 posts

We stayed most recently at Pensione Guerrato (there was a RS tour there one of our mornings.) Near a vaporetto stop that can get you from cruise, to train, and around the island. No elevator, but there are chairs on the landings if you need to rest.

Posted by
32701 posts

do you know what time the train is that you are catching to leave Venice?

Depending on the time, the crowds may be going one way or the other and either walking from your hotel or taking a vaporetto (water bus - part of the fun) to the Ferrovia stop may be easier,

There are definite flows to the crowds, which vary in different parts.

I've never had any trouble getting to the station from anywhere in Venice.

When is your cruise? Your ship may not dock in the usual cruise ship docks because Venice is in the process of having them dock outside the lagoon.

Posted by
32701 posts

Have you looked at the Ala Hotel?

As Princess said, knowing your budget and amenity level would help in suggesting a hotel.

Posted by
4077 posts

We stayed at https://www.alpontemocenigo.com/ for a week before we went on a cruise. It's very close to the San Stae vaporetto stop and you won't have to haul your luggage over any bridges to get to it from the stop. It's about a 10-15 minute walk to St Mark's Square or you can hop a vaporetto. Plenty of restaurants in the area that are used by locals and not the tourists. Nice rooms and very friendly owner, I can't say enough good things about this hotel. If you click on the rooms tab on the website, the red room in the top left corner was the room we had. The cost 3 years ago was €190/night, you can decide from that if it's a nice hotel at not a stupid price.

Posted by
1046 posts

Take a look at Hotel Ala. It's 50 meters from the Giglio vaporetto stop. Amazing breakfast buffet. I've stayed there at least a dozen times and my only complaint is having to leave! hotelala.it

Posted by
32701 posts

The hotel's "location page" https://www.alponteantico.com/location/ shows just how close it is to the Rialto bridge. It says it has a private dock on the Grand Canal. So yes, it is convenient for a water taxi (that is the expensive private hire boat that works similar to a land taxi) to drop you off, and if you had had the concierge call for one they could pick you up.

It is the opposite side (same side of the canal but other side of the bridge) from the water taxi rank and from the Rialto vaporetto (like a water bus, much less expensive than a water taxi especially if you get a 24 hour or multiple of 24 hours pass) stop. Because the area around the Rialto bridge is one of the most crowded and busy areas in an already crowded and busy city, especially when the cruise ship crowds process through on their way to St Marks or the way back, although the taxi rank and vaporetto stop are physically very close, it may take some time to complete the short walk. Paying the extra for the concierge's services may save you time - they certainly won't save you money.

Lonely Planet says that that hotel is 2 kilometres' walk from the station. That doesn't sound right to me. I'll look and report.

EDIT: well hit me across the mouth with a wet fish. They are nearly right. 1.8 km including 3 small to medium bridges and one larger one. Half an hour to 45 minutes walking depending on your speed, the crowds on the Strada Nova, and your luggage.

Will you be happy balancing the views of the Rialto Bridge and across the Grand Canal to the Market, on the one hand, with being at one of the two major focal points for crowds?

Posted by
14 posts

Thank you very much for helping me. I didn’t pay extra for concierge service. I think it’s included? I will find out. I’m looking for more of convenience factor , central located . We didn’t pay for a view of canal anyway.

Posted by
32701 posts

the concierge will expect a tip to call a water taxi

Posted by
2299 posts

hey hey mdghiozzi
europeforvisitors.com and the man in seat sixty-one (seat61.com) has lots of interesting info about italy and trains.
water taxis are the most expensive way of travel compared to vaporettos. water taxis get as close to hotel as possible, vaporettos are at the stops (ferry terminals), look on map where stops are. nigel is great and to detail about getting to them and other inquiries. he also mentions, the "tip". you will pay more for water taxi plus tip. we used whatsapp.com to call on our own, many businesses use the app. may be worthwhile to download it
motoscafivenezia.it
venicelink.com
@nigel: love your description about wet fish. i was also shocked about time. i walk slower than others, my time would be longer.
aloha

Posted by
542 posts

Looks like you already booked a hotel far (aways from the cruise terminal and the train station). We stayed at the the Hotel Olimpia near Piazzle Roma. Excellent breakfast. Great location from both the cruise terminal and the train station and the vaporetto. Would stay here again. We were able to drop our bags off in the morning at the hotel and then took the vaporetto down the grand canal. Nearby is the hotel Arlecchino. Other people liked the Hotel Santa Chiara. All walkable from the People Mover, the vaporetto, and to the train station. No water taxi needed (water taxis are outrageously expensive- so in your words- stupid money.)
To avoid an expensive water taxi to the Hotel Al Ponte Antico: from the cruise port, take the people mover to Pizzale Roma, take the public Vaporetto (route #1) to Rialto Bridge and you can walk a short distance from there but you will be wheeling your luggage. Easier to stay near Piazzle Roma.

Posted by
3099 posts