Please sign in to post.

Venice Hotel

My husband and I are planning a June 2010 trip to Europe. We begin in Rome (10 day greek Island cruise) and then on to Venice and Florence by train. Has anyone had a great hotel experience in Venice or stayed at the Ca Dei Dogi? My husband located this on tripadvisor and we would love to hear some personal experience reports if they are out there.

Posted by
586 posts

Ciao, Dawn! Our favorite hotel in Venezia is Locanda al Leon, near San Marco. Its location is ideal, it's charming, small, spotless, and very comfortable...wonderful service, but a simple, unpretentious little place. We've been ther 2x in the last 18 months, once in the winter and again in the summer, and now consider it our home away from home in Venice. Our last stay ran about 125 Euros per night. The web address is http://www.hotelalleon.com/default.asp?lang=en

Posted by
1 posts

Dawn we are staying at the Corte 1321 in October and it comes highly recommended. It is centraly located in the San Polo area and a 5 minute walk to the Rialto Bridge and 15 minute walk to San Marco. We have been in contact with the management who is a Mother and Daughter and they are very nice. Phone is 39 041 5224923 and web site www.corte1321.com

Enjoy,

Jim

Posted by
1 posts

My frends and I stayed at the Hotel Giorgione in Venice last Sept 2008 and it was a great hotel. Very pricey but extremely nice....staff was wonderful and it was close to everything you needed. We took a water taxi from the airport to the dock near the hotel and the hotel also arrainged for us to have a water taxi pick us up when we were leaving. it was a wonderful experience in venice.

Posted by
571 posts

If you're looking to splurge a little and stay at an upscale hotel, I can second the recommendation of the Giorgione. The room was beautiful and the staff very kind and attentive.

Posted by
99 posts

Thank you for the wonderful recommendations! The information is so very helpful. I really counted on the folks here to guide me when I was planning my first trip to Europe and the site has really served me well over the years. I have tried to offer my own experiences when the opportunity arises, so happy travels to all and continued thanks for the helpful advice!

Posted by
267 posts

Pensione Guerrato, located next to the Rialto Market, was great. They had a good breakfast, the decor was tastefully done with antique furniture and beautiful Murano glass chandeliers, the staff was helpful and friendly, and it was an overall great place to stay. There is no elevator; check in is on the 2nd floor (by U.S. standards; 1st floor by Italian standards). Peronally, my friend and I had the small room with the separate bathroom (had to cross the lobby to get to it), but if you reserve far enough in advance, you'll get your own bathroom. Prices were VERY reasonable for Venice: we paid just 90 euro per night, paying in cash, mentioning Rick Steve's Italy 2008 book, arranged in advance by email.

Posted by
93 posts

We stayed in the Pensione Gerrato (sorry sp!!). We stayed on the top floor in a really large room Although there were several flights of stairs that seem straight up, it was the BEST hotel room every...yeah, the bed was okay and the bathroom was good...but open the window and the view was straight out of a tour book!!! We were there on a RS tour and stayed a couple of nights...It was the absolute best room on the entire trip.

Posted by
348 posts

we stayed a hotel ca' foscari and liked it alot. what is your planned budget ?

I would recommend the pub tour in Venice, in rick steves book

Posted by
4 posts

Locanda Al Leon is a wonderful little hotel. The service was outstanding, and it is well located. Our room was beautiful!

Posted by
204 posts

Has anyone on this thread stayed at a relatively new hotel called Di Mora Marciana not far from San Marco?

Posted by
25 posts

We just got back from another 10 day trip to Venice and loved it..We stayd We stayed at Sonias Bed and Breakfast . Her email is...theangels@email.it). It is located in the arsenale section of Venice which is only about 10 min to St. Marks and very quiet at night. This is also located only 2 - 3 min from the boat stop right behind the Military Museum. Sonia is very helpful with whatever you ask her and answers all questions promptly. We have stayed there now for the past 4 times and will continue to do it in the future. You wont be disapointed by staying there. Enjoy your vacation, and while there just try to get lost and have fun....

Posted by
22 posts

We have stayed at the Pensione Guerrato twice (last time was in 2004) and had a wonderful experience both times. Try for a room on the top floor with the amazing view!

Posted by
2 posts

Ca Dei Dogi is phenomenal, great location near the doges palace, awesome breakfast each morning, rooms are small but very nice and well appointed, the people were fantastic. Stayed there in Feb 2009, third time in Venice and I loved this place.

Posted by
632 posts

We have stayed at several reasonably priced hotels near Piazza San Marco...unfortunately, I have never been able to book Ca Dei Dogi...it is very small and very popular...try to book early and maybe you will be successful.