Please sign in to post.

venice hotel

My family and I will be leaving out of Venice in August for a cruise, we have rented an apartment for 1 1/2 days before the cruise to sight see Venice. Our cruise docks back on a Sunday and we have a 925am flight home on Monday. I thought about staying in Mestre that last night closer to the airport but now I am thinking about staying near the cruise terminal so we can sight see Venice a bit more before going home. I am sure the hotel will hold our bags until "check-in". This trip been on my bucket list for a very long time and this trip is for my 50th birthday. I am at a loss on what to do, I kind of want to stay in the Venice closer to things to do on that last little bit of the trip and get the absolute most we can out of our stay. or should we just stay on the mainland closer to the airport. HELP!!!!!

Lisa
50thbirthdaytraveler

Posted by
20301 posts

There are several hotels in Venice just across bridges from Piazzale Roma where you get off the people mover from the Cruise Terminal. Drop your bags and see Venice for the rest of the day. Next morning, walk back across the bridge to Piazzale Roma and get the bus to the airport.

Is your flight home a direct flight to North America, or do you change planes in Europe first?

Posted by
7209 posts

Why waste a perfectly good day of your vacation staying in Mestre??

Posted by
2 posts

We fly from Venice to Istanbul for 90 min layover and them straight to Houston, Tx. Exactly why I'm thinking about wasting a might in Mestre rather than Venice and be able to see more.

Posted by
6592 posts

There are several hotels near Marco Polo Airport where you'd have a much easier time getting to your morning flight -- I believe a Marriott, a Best Western, and the Parkhotel Allia. If there were a way to store your bags for the day near Piazzale Roma, you could pick them up after your sightseeing day, take the bus to the airport, then a hotel shuttle to your late check-in and back again early next morning. Maybe that's all more trouble than it's worth but maybe not.

Staying overnight in Mestre seems like the worst of both worlds. A hotel close to P. Roma would be a better choice, where you could leave your bags and sightsee. The downside of that would be a very early wake-up to make your flight.

Posted by
613 posts

Stay in Venice. Your flight is probably at an obscenely early hour, so have your hotel arrange a private boat transfer to the airport. When I did it alone 3 years ago from the Molino Hilton, it cost about $130, but it is by far the fastest and easyist way to get to the airport.

Posted by
20301 posts

The fastest way is the bus if you stay near Piazzale Roma, Buses start at 5:40 am and takes 20 minutes to the airport door and cost 8 EUR pp. Or you could choose a land taxi for about 25-30 EUR.