Please sign in to post.

Venice hotel

I will be arriving by train at the end of May and would like recommendations for low-cost decent hotels. Looking for safe and clean, rather than fancy and upscale, and also easy to find from the train station.

Posted by
7737 posts

Hey, Colleen. You'll probably get more helpful responses if you specify what "low-cost" means to you in terms of dollars or euros. Be warned, though, that Venice is expensive. Good luck.

Posted by
39 posts

I do know that Venice is expensive, therefore low-cost is relative here, so I wouldn't know what dollar amount to state. I am hoping people who have been there will know of a hotel that is low-cost by Venice standards.

Posted by
3580 posts

I've stayed at Hotel Tivoli in Venice twice. It is inexpensive and breakfast is included. It is not on a canal. From the train station get off at the San Toma stop. Walk a few blocks and you're there. You may need to ask directions, but that's standard for Venice. It's near the Frari church.

Posted by
39 posts

I finally booked my stay at the Hotel Locanda Silva, between the Rialto bridge and St. Marks for four nights in mid-May. With the Rick Steves discount I am paying $95 a night. Bathroom is down the hall, and it's a funky little place, but that's all I need. Why pay $150 or more a night unless you're going to do more than sleep at your hotel? I'd rather spend the money on FOOD and jewelry!! I did get the Rick Steves Venice guide and I have to say, that's really all you need. When I started planning my trip to Switzerland and Italy I was bouncing around forums and the internet trying to find what I needed out of the myriad. But after reading the Venice guide and the Switzerland guide, I feel like I've already been there once and I felt very confident in making my arrangements and planning my stay. Rick really focuses in on all the right stuff!

Posted by
1820 posts

I would suggest you look at Rick Steves' "Venice" book. They will have at the library if you don't want to buy, but I would recommend buying a copy. The hotel section will help you define costs and is by area to help you decide where to stay. I recommend Pensionne Guerrato, as do several others on this site. However, they book up fast.

Posted by
132 posts

We kind of splurged in Venice. We used the Hotel Colombina a few blocks behind St Marks on a canal

Posted by
7737 posts

Yep, the Rick books are hard to beat, especially for your first visit. Have a great time. Venice is one of my favorite spots on earth. Last time we were in Italy I took more pictures in Venice than in Rome, Bologna, Lucca and Assisi combined.

Posted by
39 posts

Michael, I am following my four days in Venice with the Rick Steves tour of the villages of northern Italy. I am beyond excited! And prior to Venice I will have 2 weeks in Switzerland. I am stoked!!

Posted by
32198 posts

Colleen, If you want a "low cost decent hotel" in a good location, you might have a look at This One. It's in a good location (once you know the way) and close to a Vaporetto stop. IMO it was "easy to find from the train station", but of course a Vaporetto ride was involved. At the time of my last visit, the boats were on strike so I only had a partial ride to the Rialto Bridge with a management driver, and then had to walk the rest of the way - fortunately I had printed a copy of the map from the Guidebook, so it wasn't really that difficult. I've found Venice to be a bit more expensive for lodgings than other locations in Italy, so you may have to budget accordingly. I'd suggest having a look at either the Italy or Venice Guidebooks, as there are lots of good Hotels listed there in various price ranges, and different parts of the city. Hope you have a great time on the RS tour! Happy travels! *EDIT - I didn't see your last reply at the time I posted. Glad to hear you've booked a Hotel.

Posted by
39 posts

Thank you Vernon. Yes, it's a funky little place, but it's in the RS book, so must be okay. I don't need much, and I'd rather spend my tight budget on food!

Posted by
1820 posts

The 14 Day Village tour is my favorite so far of the 4 RS tours I have taken since 2008. You will have a fabulous time. I love Venice and be prepared to take lots of photos as you wander the little streets and alleyways. Leave lots of time for just walking around.

Posted by
247 posts

Al Portico Guest House, its a 10 min walk from the train station and near the vaporetto stop if you want to go the St. Mark's Square

Posted by
12 posts

I second the recommendation for Hotel Locanda Silva. Great spot for me. Very central but not close to the train station if yoiu really have to be theree.. I took a vaparetto to get to St. Marks square and walked from there. A little tricky to find, but everything in Venice is tricky to find! Great price , included a breakfast. Have a great time, it's my favorite city. There is magic everywhere!

Posted by
39 posts

Thanks, Mary. Good to hear from someone who has stayed at Laconda Silva. I too will take the Vaporetto to St. Marks and then walk. I just finished watching Summertime with Katharine Hepburn and Rosanno Brazzi. Very cool scenes of Venice in the 50s. Next I watch Bread and Tulips, also filmed in Venice.
Also reading some novels and short stories set there. Makes me feel like I can enjoy it all the more.

Posted by
7737 posts

There's a series of very good detective novels set in Venice, by Donna Leon. She's an American who lives in Venice. I highly recommend them. They're the Commissario Brunetti series. They're translated into many languages, but NOT into Italian, at her request. She's afraid of becoming a celebrity in her adopted hometown.

Posted by
39 posts

Thanks Angela, I love doing research ahead of time, so I appreciate this recommendation!

Posted by
811 posts

...and not that you asked, but I'll pipe in to say that I really enjoyed The City of Falling Angels by John Berendt (non-fiction) and wished I'd read it before we visited Venice a few years ago.

Posted by
7737 posts

Yeah, City of Falling Angels is another excellent Venice read.

Posted by
32709 posts

Thanks for that lead Michael. My wife says she really loves the Commissario Brunetti books. We also like, for its atmosphere, Venetian Dreaming, Finding a Foothold in an Enchanted City, by Paula Weideger. With that book we really felt we knew the neighborhoods before we ever arrived. We used the book as a treasure hunt. Didovich is as good as described. Yum!

Posted by
39 posts

Brilliant, Nigel! I am so glad I still have a few months to read all these great books. Nigel this one should be especially useful, as I only have four days there and I think walking the neighborhoods is really going to be my favorite thing to do, as great art and churches have a very limited appeal for me. This book should really help me choose where I want to walk, and I do need to narrow it down as walking energy is limited, too! Thanks so much!

Posted by
32709 posts

Colleen You have described the best thing about La Serinissima... just walking around, strolling, following your nose, seeing something down a calle and going to see what it is. Seeing something else and discovering that. When we discovered Marco Polo's house we spent about 3 hours just exploring that area. Looking at the book I described will take you out of the main stream. That's the wonderful thing about Venice, leaving the crowds behind. Its not hard, just go one or two calles or rios away from the main drag and the silence will wrap you up.

Posted by
1046 posts

Colleen - for several years now I have made the Hotel Ala my home base in Venice. 50 meters from the Grand Canal (and boat stop!), maybe 5 minute leisurely stroll to San Marco or the Accademia. Beautiful rooms, wonderful breakfast, exceptional front desk staff. This is a Best Western hotel. Check out their special offers, not just their rack rates. Look them up at www.hotelala.it enjoy Venice - but that goes without saying!!
Bob

Posted by
39 posts

Thanks, Bob, that is very kind of you.
I have already booked a funky little hotel the Lucanda Silva, between the Rialto bridge and St. Mark's; it fit my meager budget! But since it's in Rick's guide, I assuming it will be okay.