Please sign in to post.

Venice Ghetto tour

We are interested in taking a Venice Ghetto tour. Does anyone have recommendations? Thanks!

Posted by
5149 posts

Someone recently posted that the Ghetto was closed for renovations, but I've no direct knowledge about that. In any event, I'm not sure you really nead to take a tour. It's a very small area and you can probably research it on your own and do without a guide.

Posted by
140 posts

I think the synagogue is being renovated, but we’d be interested in learning more about the history of Venice’s Jewish community.

Posted by
926 posts

When I was there last year the museum was closed, and I think some other buildings, but you may be able to still do a walking tour of the area as I do see it listed on some sites. Ask what is accessible before you book a tour. I’m sure you would still learn the history even if some of the building aren’t open.

Posted by
1214 posts

I have twice taken the tour offered by the Ghetto Museum, which took us to three different synagogues in the ghetto. Looking at the museum’s website just now, ghettovenezia.com, they say that they are currently offering tours that include two synagogues. The tour focuses of course on the history of the Jewish community of Venice. I believe that we walked in to the museum and took the tour without prebooking the first time (10’years ago?) and prebooked the second time.

Posted by
16065 posts

I also took the tour offered by the museum. But that was pre-Covid. Probably best to check ahead of time.