Please sign in to post.

Venice during Carnevale

Hi!

So I am currently in the early planning stages for a backpacking trip in late 2017/early 2018. I realized while doing my trip research that I was planning to be in Venice at the end of Carnevale. Reading about how crowded it can get, I panic-booked a hotel. I like the hotel and the price, but now I'm second guessing my choice to see Venice ONLY during Carnevale.

My current hotel stay is Feb. 10 to Feb. 14 (Carnevale technically ends on the 13th). I guess my question is, should I shift the dates a bit, to see Venice both during the festivities, and after when it's a bit calmer? My hotel reservations are completely flexible/refundable, so that won't be a problem. Would the 11-15 (or some variation) be better for "seeing" Venice with less chaos? Should I avoid Carnevale all together? This is my first trip to Venice, so I really don't have any personal experiences on which to base this decision.

Hopefully I've given enough information, thanks in advance for any advice!

Posted by
20309 posts

I think it would be great to be in Venice on "Fat Tuesday"(to use the New Orleans term). Maybe switch it to Feb 12 to 16, You can watch the tear-down.

Posted by
15403 posts

I used to go every year when I lived in Italy. I would not miss it if I were there at that time of the year, especially if you have never gone before. There are activities with music in every Campo (Square) and immense crowds of people dressed with the most amazing costumes.

If you are traveling in 2018 the last day of Carnevale is Fat Tuesday February 13, 2013. However the apex of the crowds will be the weekend preceding it (from Friday evening February 9 to Sunday February 11. Crowds will be everywhere but as you move away from the main drags it will be normal crowds to no crowds. It will be an opportunity to discover the more hidden parts of the city. The only area where I experienced stampede level crowds is in the small alleys (called 'calli') leading to Piazza San Marco. There they generally have policemen that act as "street lights" directing the flow of people in the two directions in an alternate fashion (toward Piazza San Marco or away from it). Piazza San Marco is the fulcrum of the activities (and the ocean of humanity).

There are long lines at public restrooms and also to secure a table at restaurants. So make plans for that. It's a good idea to move away from the main sights to find restaurants and also to go to lunch or dinner at odd hours (12:30 to 14:30 is the crowdest time in restaurants). It will be fun however. A unique experience.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks so much! I guess I've been reading too many reviews from people who don't like the crowds, but it sounds like a great experience :)

Posted by
11613 posts

Festival crowds are different, in my opinion, than just ordinary crowds (Fienze, for example, any day of the week). During Carnevale, you will be "seeing" Venezia, for sure. If you like photography, it's a perfect time to go - something about Venezia in the winter, and then all those costumed partygoers - amazing.

Posted by
5837 posts

I arrived in Venice "Fat Tuesday" of 2013. As Roberto notes, the Carnevale crowds were diminishing by Tuesday and Venice was in a take down mode. Others who arrived before Tuesday reported that the crowds celebrated late into the night. (That year Venice also experienced an acqua alta event and the first floor became the lowest floor not underwater). My only weather event was a Fat Tuesday snowstorm that snarled the airport.

This year we arrived in Luzern for the Carnival weekend and woke Monday to bands playing at 6:30 am. We enjoyed experiencing the pre-parade festivities in Luzern, and the parade. The downside was finding a seat in a restaurant was impossible and we ended up with take away sausages from the train station for our evening meal. By Tuesday, the Luzern crowds disappeared and restaurants were back to normal.

Posted by
15644 posts

Friends of mine just came back from a week-plus in Venice leaving on the last Monday, so they were there for middle and final weekend. I told her she'd love Venice and Carnevale. She came back raving about how wonderful it was. They also managed to see the sights. GO!!!