Please sign in to post.

Venice

Hello,

My husband and I are currently in Italy, and have plans to visit Venice 11/26-28. I have read some of the topics on Venice in the forum, but I wanted to hear from someone who is there or has been there since the flooding.

Our concern is mostly about transportation and dining. Are there enough restaurants open to be able to have good meals (not just sandwiches or going to the market by ourselves)? Is the transportation still running smoothly? Anything else that would be good to know, smells, tourist sights closed, etc?

Neither of us have been before so we have some apprehension going in such a transitory time being unfamiliar with Venice but don’t want to change plans out of unnecessary fear!

Posted by
7209 posts

Is your hotel open for customers? If so then go. Venice is beautiful and there’s no other city like it in the world.

Posted by
3812 posts

The moment the tide is low again, water buses start running again; it's one of the (few) advantages of having streets made of water instead of asphalt.

There may be the odd water bus stop here and there that's closed because the floating pontoon needs to be repaired, but the water bus service is running today and will be running on the 26th.

Posted by
1 posts

All transportation is running. Many restaurants are back online of all levels. There are not a lot of tourists since it is low season so finding a table even at usual-difficult-to-reserve places is a lot easier.
The museums usually post on twitter about closures, yesterday they posted a list of museums open https://twitter.com/visitmuve_it/status/1197082002605916161 (Palazzo Ducale, Museo Correr, Clock Tower, Glass Museum in Murano, Lace Museum in Burano, Mogenigo, Ca Rezzonico etc)
Walking around the streets you see everything clean and hard to tell what happened last week. Contact the place you are staying at if they have further information for you. If you want to keep an eye on the tides a few days before you arrive they are posted on the city website https://www.comune.venezia.it/it/content/centro-previsioni-e-segnalazioni-maree-beta Hope this helps!

Posted by
487 posts

Ummm, so we have the almost the same handle and are from the same city which had me checking to see if I was hacked! :)

One thing to remember is that Venice has flooded several times a year for awhile now and they are used to dealing with this issue. This time was worse than normal, but they are accustomed to the cleanup and getting everything back in order. I would go back in a heartbeat. Have a great time!