Please sign in to post.

Venice - Airport to Hotel

The wife and I will be travelling to Venice in mid-April. In trying to determine whether to use the Alilaguna boat or the more expensive water taxi to get to our hotel, she wondered about getting sea sick on the longer Alilaguna boat ride. On the one hand, seems like a strange question. On the other, I don't want her first experience in Italy to be tossing her cookies over the side of a boat . . .Thanks for any input.

Posted by
864 posts

Maybe it's just the times of year I've gone but it's like boating on a large lake. Some chop not bad - but then I'm not prone to sea sickness. My son gets sea sick in the bathtub - lol. This is not boating on the open seas at any rate.

Posted by
7737 posts

Depends on the weather. If it's windy, the water might be choppy. But the same would be true of a water taxi. How about the bus to Piazzale Roma, then a vaporetto to your hotel?

Posted by
6898 posts

Steve, you can also take an airport bus from the airport to the Piazzale Roma where you would then need to take a vaporetto to your hotel stop. At 14Euro, the Alilaguna is probably the best choice but it will take you over an hour to get from the airport to your stop. Plus, the Alilaguna does not stop at all of the vaporetto stops. You will need to make sure that it does. As for getting sea sick, you are not at sea, you are in a lagoon but it can get a little choppy. The Alilaguna boat is larger than the water taxi but the water taxi is much faster until it gets to the canals. The vaporetto is larger than the Alilaguna and the water taxi. It holds about 80 people (most standing). It seems to run quite smoothly.

Posted by
32817 posts

I am not aware of any stories of seasickness on the lagoon. Some folks have tummy problems after too much "refreshment" but the vaporetti, the Alilaguna, or watertaxis for seasickness - no. I suppose that on a really bad stormy day on a taxi at top speed broaching the waves near Punta Sabbione it could be a little difficult for susceptible people.

Posted by
415 posts

Getting sea sick depends on how susceptible you are. I get sea sick very easily and have felt as if I could get sea sick while waiting for the vaporetto on the platforms which are anchored but tend to move with the swell. I wait until the last minute to go on as long as there aren't a lot of people waiting. I've also found that I prefer to stand on the vaporetto behind the driver's cabin so I can look forward. I'm not alone in feeling queasy on the vaporetto. The last time I was there, I gave candy and my sea bands to a young girl who was clearly feeling seasick. But as I said, I get sea sick very easily. I haven't taken the Alilaguna from the airport, but I have taken a water taxi. For me the view coming into Venice on the water taxi is worth the money and we also added a trip on the Grand Canal as part of our trip to our hotel. Also you can stand outside on the water taxi, and the fresh air helps to keep me feeling fine and it's shorter trip than the alilaguna. I'm not sure if there is outside space on the alilaguna. And, for some reason, the speed of the water taxi and the breeze in one's hair tend to keep me feeling good.

Posted by
7737 posts

If you end up taking a water taxi or the Alilaguna, make sure she's someplace where she can keep her eye on the horizon. That helps a lot with avoiding seasickness.