Please sign in to post.

Venice

Hi everyone,

My husband and I will be visiting Venice for the first time in September for 3 days. What is a better area to stay in, San Marco or Dorsoduro?

Thanks!

Posted by
7326 posts

We stayed at Hotel Ala during our last trip to Venice. It's in the San Marco area and very easy to find from the Giglio vaporetto stop. If you're interested in attending the opera, it's just a few minutes from the hotel.

Posted by
2048 posts

We have stayed in the Carranegio (sp) area for 3 nights. We liked it because it was quiet, though still very scenic. Also, it is an easier walk from the train staion with luggage.

Posted by
245 posts

We have stayed in San Marco, Campo San Stefano area (great food, music, square) and this coming July we are staying in Campo S. Maria. Great area. Really...anywhere on the island would be amazing I think!

Posted by
11613 posts

I would only stay in San Marco if it was a place far from the Piazza. I like Cannaregio, too; quiet and lots of good restaurants.

Posted by
2114 posts

Take a look at Hotel Le Isole. We stayed there last October, and we were totally pleased. We stayed in the room that had a small balcony one one side that overlooked a small canal and a window on the other side that overlooked the small canal in the opposite direction. Staff was very kind, helpful, full breakfast included and afternoon tea (both served your choice of inside or in the quiet courtyard). One evening we were just totally exhausted from touring/jet lag, so we brought back some food (to-go) and the hotel provides soft drinks/beer/juice in your room fridge (no additional cost) and we enjoyed a private little casual dinner in the peace/quiet of their private courtyard.

The bathroom was very small, so if a large bathroom is important to you, you might not be pleased with the room in which we stayed.

But, for LOCATION (which is critical in Venice), cleanliness, quiet out-of-the-way but oh-so-convenient location (literally just a few minutes from San Marcos square), Hotel Le Isole just cannot be beat!!

Posted by
2724 posts

I loved Dorsoduro. San Marci would be too crowded for me.

Posted by
1229 posts

We have visited Venice half a dozen times, staying for a month or two each time. We have found that Dorsoduro works well for us, more specifically the area around Campo San Barnaba. Easy to reach from the Ca' Rezzonico vap stop, with no bridges!

Posted by
782 posts

I have stayed in the San Marco area on a canal near the Bridge of Sighs and loved it,convenient to San Marco and a short walk to Rialto area.
Mike

Posted by
4159 posts

Zoe, tell us about the good restaurants in the Cannaregio area. Do you have any particular favorites? I'm renting an apartment near the Chiesa dei Gesuiti.

Posted by
15595 posts

I've always stayed in the Dorsoduro. It's close to everything, but quieter than the other side of the canal.

Posted by
824 posts

I would stay in Dorsoduro. In fact we stayed in the area where Dorsoduro, San Croce, and San Polo come together and we really loved it. It was a 5-10 minute walk to almost anywhere but it was quiet and nearly tourist-free. Dorsoduro is full of locals and college students so it's more "real" and vibrant. It also has better restaurants.