Please sign in to post.

Venice Accommodations

Anyone have any ideas on where is a GREAT place to stay while in Venice...We would like to stay 2 nights April 1-3, and have a view of a canal, even the Canal Grande....need to be 2 stars or better and around 150 us dollars per night??? Probably San Marco, or San Polo

Posted by
16765 posts

It is going to be tough to find a great place with canal view at that price. Our favorite, Pensione La Calcina on the Giudecca canal in Dorsoduro, surprisingly has a canal view room available for those two nights, but it is double the price, around $300 a night. You might just try checking for availability of lots of places on venere.com. You can limit the search by date and to a specific price range. April is the start of high season, so things are booking up.

Posted by
61 posts

We have booked Hotel Bucitrino right on the canal near St Marks Square after reading Trip Advisor recommended hotels but it is 187 Euro a night but fantastic views good luck

Posted by
1018 posts

Everything in Venice is EXPENSIVE, so bargains are few and far between. We always stay at Hotel Abbazia in the sestiere Canneregio near the train station. Check with venere.com and tripadvisor.com for hotel choices, map locations, pricing, and client reviews. Buon viaggio,

Posted by
198 posts

Hi Amy, Maybe check out Rick's book for recommendations for Venice. If you mention that you saw the hotel in Rick's book, you will most likely get a discount (Rick says to do this.) In his book he mentions hotels at various price ranges (although a higher price does not necessarily mean better quality from what I understand in Italy). Rick mentions several places, but two he recommends are: Pensione Guerrato (near Rialto bridge, Grand Canal and fish market -- walking distance to St. Mark's Square); and I believe Antigo Travatore (closer to St. Marks). He uses Pensione Guerrato a lot for his tours. I read that it is basic, but with a lot of ambience, e.g. it was orginally built in the 1200's.) Happy travels! Ruth

Posted by
7737 posts

Also, the star system in Italy doesn't mean what it does here. It relates only to the amenities available, not the quality of the hotel. Things such as parking, 24 hour front desk, elevator, etc. are what determines how many starts a hotel gets. For that reason, there are many 2 star hotels that are nicer than some 4 star hotels.

Posted by
1865 posts

I loved Pensione Gueratto and I had a view of the canal. The room overlooked the Rialto fruit and veg market and could be a bit noisy early in the morning, but after the first morning I just opened the windows wide and laid there listening to the vendors setting up their stalls. I figured it was part of the experience.