Please sign in to post.

venice

i am off to venice a week on sunday,am i right in thinking that the bus station is just across from the train station? and does it make any difference which mode of transport i take from marco polo airport?
p.s. i am staying in the cannaregio region

Posted by
32921 posts

Gary, your hotel's website has easy to follow directions for all the methods discussed above at http://www.htleden.com/location.htm and include a pretty decent map of the walking route. If you take the Allilaguna (make sure you take the right colour one) and get off at Ponte della Guglie you only have one more bridge to cross, two from the station, three from P Roma, on foot. Enjoy Venice...

Posted by
6898 posts

It really does make a difference because 1) no train goes to Marco Polo, 2) no vaporetto goes there either. It's very easy to go out to the front of the terminal and take either the ATVO fly bus or the ACTV city bus. Both run frequently and both will take you to the Piazalle Roma where you can walk over to the vaporetto stop and get on the city waterbus (vaporetto) system. Or, you can take the Alilaguna boat from the airport docks to some stops in Venice (www.alilaguna.it). If you make this choice, make sure that your hotel is near one of the Alilaguna stops. Last, you can take the expensive water taxi rides for about 90E-110E for up to 8 people with luggage right to your hotel. The buses are only about 3Euro.

Posted by
32 posts

thanks for that,ive just found out there are no trains,that was a suprise,im staying at the hotel eden in cannaregio and by all accounts i can walk there in 15 mins or so

Posted by
24 posts

I'm interested too - I'll be staying in the Dorsoduro area. The bus to the stazione sounds cheapest - but what is Alilaguna? Is it expensive? Thanks!

Posted by
6898 posts

Caution everybody on definitions. The water bus is the vaporetto or city transportation on the canals. The Alilaguna may be considered a water bus but the boats are smaller and the routes more limited with their stops. These boats do travel to and from the airport. You can clearly see their routes, fares and schedules on www.alilaguna.it. Finally, there is the water taxi. This is very similar to a real taxi service on land except that it's on water. Small boats with no fixed routes. It's a real taxi service. Quite expensive 90E to 110E for up to 8 people.

Posted by
1512 posts

We took the ACTV bus #5 from the airport to Piaazale Roma. From there it was just a few steps to the Vaporetto (water bus) stop. You can look up the stops on line or in any Venice travel book and figure out which stop is convenient to your hotel. If you will be in Venice for a few days you might want to buy a transportation pass through veniceconnected.com. There are several options. We bought a 36 hr pass which was discounted online. You must know the day you will get the pass and it starts when you pick it up. We bought online and picked it up at the airport, then used it for the bus and the vaporetto. We were then able to us it all evening and all the next day to ride the vaporetto to various islands and all around Venice and really got our money's worth. We spent the rest of our time walking around Venice.