Please sign in to post.

Venice

Does anyone know what it looks like in Venice currently? I plan on being there at the beginning of May this year and am wondering if Venise is going to still be in cleanup mode. Just found out that our current hotel near St. Mark’s Square has been condemned. Our travel agent is now looking for a substitute. I am still very concerned about The situation in Rome at that time. Would welcome anyone’s thoughts and advice. Thank you

Posted by
533 posts

Cleanup mode was mostly finished within a week. It's too bad about your hotel, but it looks like you just found an unlucky exceptions - plenty of hotels in Venice are open for business as usual, and many have availability for early May.

Posted by
16392 posts

Just curious—- what hotel is that that was condemned?

Posted by
6215 posts

I am still very concerned about The situation in Rome at that time.

typo? or what situation in Rome?

Posted by
6788 posts

OP said:

I am still very concerned about The situation in Rome at that time.

Probably meant Venice. Play on.

Posted by
16392 posts

Still curious about the hotel in Venice that was damaged and condemned. Can you please tell us the name? We are not concerned about our own lodging (for March) but we are concerned about the extent of actual damage that was done to the buildings and infrastructure.

Posted by
3 posts

According to my travel agent Venice is pretty much back to normal. This hotel was extremely old and just could not take the amount of water it received.It was called Gabrielli Sandwirth

Posted by
1230 posts

The Gabrielli Sandworth web page says the hotel is closed for renovations, will re-open in 2021.
It is in a somewhat old building, a 14th century palazzo. The electrical works from that period do not comply with EC codes.

Posted by
7209 posts

So much for the travel agent expertise...

Posted by
16392 posts

Thank you for letting us know the name of the hotel. It sounds like the high water may have exacerbated an already-existing bad condition of the building.