Please sign in to post.

Venice

What do I really need to do in Venice?! Is Doge’s Palace and Basilica necessary if I’m not into history? I know I want to see Murano. I also would love to do gondola ride and possibly a motorboat during the day. Any suggestions? We are headed to the Dolomites, Lake Garda and Almalfi Coast after. I’m trying to figure out how many’s day to spend in each place. Would very much appreciate suggestions

Posted by
11361 posts

Better than Murano are the nearby islands of Burano, much less touristed and Torcello is where Venice was founded, its birthplace.

Posted by
5986 posts

I'm currently planning my trip to Venice and have my nose in the RS guide. To build on Suki's suggestion, I'm reading about a self-guided lagoon tour in the guide. You use the vaporetto to go to San Michele (cemetary island) and then onto Murano, Burano and Torcello, all by Vaporetto on your own. I believe there are vaporetto passes you can buy for the day or more. The guide also has a Grand Canal Cruise that also makes use of vaporettos.

I also see that the guide has 3 self-guided walks. I make these suggestions because my impression is that you want to experience more of the vibe of Venice, less so museums, and maybe get away from crowds a bit.

Of all the places, I can't imagine not visiting the basilica and seeing the mosaics, but its your trip and not mine. I think it might help you to take a look at the Rick Steves Venice guide and maybe also an Eyewitness Venice guide. You could see maps and photos which might pique your interest.

EDITED TO ADD: I think I'm very visual. RS has a few travel episodes on this area (Dolomites are bundled with an Alps episode) There are also a few short video clips and travel talks. It really helps me to see my options. You can find all this on this website, look under "Explore Europe"

Posted by
5063 posts

I suggest you review the Venice section of the RS Guide, the Venice itinerary of the RS Tour, join Facebook groups for Venice, Search Venice here, watch a few U-tube videos, and read Cameron's blog here on the Forum.
It would help to know what you're interested in, once you've done a little research. I suspect you'll fall in love with this magical city. Safe travels!

Posted by
11455 posts

Some of the magic of Venice is just walking around, getting away from the hoards and getting lost. Don’t feel compelled to go to museums that don’t interest you.

How long — how many nights — do you have for these 4 locations, Venice, Lake Garda, the Dolomites and the Amalfi Coast? How many people in your party and when? Are you planning to use the train system for the whole trip?

Posted by
2875 posts

Did I miss when you are going to be in Venice? I ask because Sunday Sept 1 is the Historical Regatta with gondola and boat races. Saturday there is the blessing of the boats.

Instead of the “big” museums and sites, there is the Carlo Goldoni House. One room has the playwright’s marionettes. The museum is small, in his late 17th century house.
Frari Basilica is worth a walk though to see the marble altars and chapels.
Palazzo Mocenigo is suppose to have an antique fashion and accessories collection. I haven’t visited yet but will in September.

The lagoon has the lace museum and shops on Burano. Murano has the glass museum and shops which blow their own glass.

The best part about Venice is to just wander. It’s a series of islands, you can’t get lost, although you will think you are. A vaporetto ride through the Grand Canal at night with the lights reflecting on the water is enchanting.

Posted by
2469 posts

I’d skip the Doge’s Palace but not St.. Mark’s. Take the vaporetto from the train station to St. Mark’s plaza. Take the gondola ride. I liked Burano more than Murano but if pressed for time, Murano is much closer to Venice. I was unimpressed with the glass making demo I saw. The product was so much different than what my grandparents brought back from 60 years ago.

Posted by
4253 posts

I found the Basilica and Doges Palace spectacular for the architecture if not the history, but trust your instincts if you don't think you'd be interested. As others have mentioned, I thought the beauty of Venice was the wandering and getting lost. I 2nd the comments about Burano. It may have been my favourite morning of our 5 days in Venice.

Posted by
35 posts

Thanks for the suggestions! We will have 4 nights in each - Dolomites, Lake Garda and Almalfi Coast.

Posted by
35 posts

Our plan is to rent a car for Dolomites and Lake Garda after we visit Venice. From Lake Garda we will drive back to Venice return our car and fly to Naples. I haven’t figured out Almalfi Coast except have read not to rent a car. Any suggestions for that and what specifically to see and do? I would like to boat to Capri Island. Other than that we haven’t figured out our itinerary

Posted by
888 posts

How many days do you have in Venice? I have been to Venice twice, and went into the Basilica the first time, but not the second time. I went into the Doge’s Palace both times because I love all the spectacular art on the ceilings. Buy a day pass for the vaporetto and catch the boat at the Fondemeta Nova stop at about 8am and head all the way out to Burano. This will get you there before the shops open and all the other tourists arrive. Burano is small, and you can walk every street in about 45 minutes. Visit some shops once they open, maybe the small lace museum if you’re interested, then get back on the vaporetto and make a stop at Torcello before heading back to Murano. I love Murano, and could spend half a day wandering in and out of the shops looking at glass, but Murano is not as picturesque as Burano. The glass museum has some spectacular pieces if that interests you. You can make a stop at the cemetery island when you leave Murano, it’s a nice place for a quiet walk with no crowds. Doing all of these islands will likely take up a whole day, so if you don’t have much time in Venice then I would just visit Murano as it takes less than ten minutes to get there from the stop I mentioned. Even if you only have one day in Venice, then still buy a vaporetto pass and ride the grand canal, getting off at various stops and getting lost in the side streets. That really is the fun of Venice. Ride the vaporetto after dark, also. The grand canal at night with all the building lights on is magical.

Posted by
5018 posts

If you have a full day to devote to them, take the vap. to Torcello, Murano, and Murano. If you are pushed for time then just do Murano and Murano. That should take only about three quarters of a day if you get an early start. One of the best things to do in Venice is walk in any direction that appears to have fewer people. Soon you be in places that have very few tourist, and you'll start to get a feel for the real Venice. A visit to the Jewish Ghetto is a good bet even if you are not into history.