Please sign in to post.

venice

I have heard Venice in October can be a little flooded in the streets. If you were there in October, can you share your thoughts?

Posted by
712 posts

We were there the end of Sept and beginning of Oct. THere was a flood tide at high tide times, but we must went into other areas instead. It seemed to be in the low areas around St. Mark's square that we noticed it the most.

Posted by
1358 posts

Having read about floods there for the past 20 years, I can remind you that it may flood in Venice various times during the year. Maybe you will be lucky and hit one of the 350 days it does not.

Posted by
12172 posts

We were there mid October and didn't experience much. I don't remember the exact dates but it was after the 16th and before the 26th.

At one point there was an inch or two of water in part of San Marco square. They had some planking set up (looked like a series of fold up tables) by the Duomo but the water was easy to avoid and we didn't notice any water elsewhere.

Posted by
2030 posts

I experienced some flooding during October, but don't worry you can get around most everywhere. It's Venice -- you have to love water if you go there! All the locals wear colorful rubber boots that you see a lot in stores now. I'm not sure if it's worth packing some to bring there, but you might wish you had them if you want to fit in as a trendy local -- particularly when faced with the cost of buying them in Venice! But can get along without them fine too.

Posted by
192 posts

I have visited Venice many, many times. I lived in Chioggia (50km south) for several years. The flooding will be minimal, mostly around Piazza San Marco. Water will only be a few inches deep. Nothing to be concerned about.

Posted by
632 posts

Our last October trip to Venice we saw significant flooding (more than a couple of inches in the passageways between San Marcos and the Rialto Bridge...up to a foot in San Marcos Square). The natives have their rubber boots, the tourists were mostly either in sandals or just wore their shoes and got wet. The passageways and San Marcos have the elivated walkways so most of the walking can be done out of the water...but getting to and from the elivated walkways expect to get wet. Next time you are in Venice, notice the doorways to all of the shops...they have metal channels on each side of the doorway where they can slip in a water barrier to keep the flooding out of the shop...works very well...just step over to get into the store.