Please sign in to post.

Venice

When coming from Mestre and I get on the island of Venice how and where should I go? How far are the main sites and attractions from the bus or train station? and how do I get to them?

Posted by
5697 posts

From either the train station or the bus station, the Grand Canal is just steps away ... and for me, that's one of the best sights, taking the vaporetto (with Rick Steves in your ear narrating his Grand Canal tour.) You can walk to everyplace, following the signs to Rialto or San Marco and enjoying the ambiance along the way, but the walking does take time. Figure out what your priorities are and locate them on a map ... or just wander. Enjoy!!

Posted by
4908 posts

Venice is a very unique place. One can see and do a lot very lightly or see and do a lot in depth depending on the amount of time one has. Suggest you get some good guide books and research the city well so you'll know when, where, and how to allocate your time. The folks on the forum have a lot of detailed knowledge about the city and readily share it when it comes to specific situations and questions.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you for the feedback.
I will be there for 2 days. What are the must sees and must dos? I've started to read Rick's section on Venice, but am finding it very overwhelming - it is very detailed. :S

Posted by
906 posts

Must see:

The sun light playing off the gold tiles and mosaics in Basilica di San Marco from the upper balcony. Then walk outside on the balcony and see the horse statues.

The view of Venice from the top of the campanile on San Giorgio Maggiore (there is a lift to get you up there).

Da Mamo's for pizza (or anything else) near the Rialto.

Academia and Guggenheim museums.

Harry's Bar

Posted by
792 posts

when you arrive at the train station in Venice, you walk out the front doors of the station and the Grand Canal is right there in front of you. Most folks walk over the Ponte degli Scalzi bridge to the left. Where you get your first photo opp :-)

Posted by
7737 posts

No need to be overwhelmed. Rick's Venice book has a suggested itinerary based on how many days you have in Venice.