Please sign in to post.

venice

I will be visiting Venice and would to visit winerys that are close by and also visit other cities/towns that are close to Venice. Do you have any suggestions regarding these areas. Do you have suggestions regarding a hotel that is on a canal and close to St. Marks Square.
Thank you
Paula Rotondo

Posted by
32913 posts

When is the trip?

Are you traveling solo?

What is your budget?

Posted by
906 posts

Nigel asks a great question. Assuming you don't care about budget consider these:

The Bauer
The Gritti Palaca
Hotel Monaco
Hotel Danieli

Have a drink at Harry's Bar, Hemingway's hangout.

Tireste (no one goes there but it has one of the greatest piazza's in Italy, and I think the largest). Padua and Ferrara are close and you could go to the mountains, Bolzano or Ampezzo for example.

Posted by
487 posts

With 6 people you might consider renting an apartment if you are going to be there 3+ days. Many rentals have a minimum stay requirement because they are run by individuals. Just be aware that many of the buildings do not have elevators so there could be more stairs involved than at a hotel.

Posted by
7338 posts

Almost every hotel is on a canal or near one. For other towns nearby, Verona is lovely.

Posted by
11613 posts

I think the previous poster meant Trieste, which is beautiful, but closer to Benezia are Verona and Padova. Take a look at a guidebook for Northeastern Italy, it will help address what is of interest to you. An apartment or two would be fine, but if this is your first trip to Itsly, perhaps a hotel can have more services for you.

You can google "Veneto wine tours" for suggestions nearby - you are in Prosecco country.

Posted by
362 posts

My advice is buy Rick's Venice guidebook - terrific and detailed info about Venice and nearby islands plus detailed descriptions of sites in Padova, Vicenza and Verona - three marvelous towns within short train rides from Venezia. Scrovegni Chapel, one of the most famous art sites in Italy, is in Padova, plus a famous university. The town is fun and full of young people.

Posted by
15602 posts

It sounds like this is your first trip to Venice. So I'm going to toss in some opinions that contradict your request but may be helpful.

Venice is not a good base for day trips. Unless you are staying very near the train station, it will take you a long time to get to and from it. The only ways to get around are by water (either very slow or very expensive) and on foot, and it's easier to get lost on foot in Venice that to walk in a direct path, especially for a 'beginner.'

St. Mark's Square is crowded and touristy. Many people prefer to stay in a quieter area, like the Dorsoduro. Nothing in Venice is far. To give you an idea, look at La Calcina.