Please sign in to post.

Venice

Would 9 days in Venice be too much?

Posted by
1223 posts

We have spent some 300 days in Venice over eight visits.
Nine days is not too much.

Posted by
27122 posts

Venice is actually rather small, so nine days seems a very generous amount of time unless you want to do a very deep dive into its churches or its glass shops. There are definitely worthwhile side trips available (Padua, Vicenza, Bassano del Grappa, Treviso to start), but hotels in Venice are usually quite expensive compared to those in surrounding towns, so I would probably find a second place to stay if I planned two or more side trips. Since Padua has so much to see, that would be my choice as a second base.

Mind you, it could be really nice just to stay in Venice and pretend you lived there. Perhaps you'd rather do that than hit other places that need (probably) one or two days each.

You can play around with Google Maps to get estimates of walking times between key points. For example, you can walk all the way from the train station to Piazza San Marco in half an hour or to the Guggenheim Museum in about 28 minutes. Google estimates one hour for the walk all the way from the train station to Sant'Elena Imperatrive at the far eastern tip of the Castello district; very few tourists would go that far. Walking times can be cut in many cases by hopping on a vaporetto, though total travel time might not be much faster due to the wait.

Posted by
973 posts

I think Acraven gave you great advice. If you were wanting to just veg and see what it was like to be a local, ok. But for normal touring, I think you need to move on.

Posted by
2322 posts

Is this part of a longer trip, or just fly into Venice stay 9 days and fly home?

Last time we stayed 3 nights in July and that felt about right. We could have stayed 5 nights and added some museums. But I think we’d be ready to move on after much longer. But depending on when you’re going, you could do at day at the beaches at Lido. Another day at Burano. Maybe take a day trip by train to Verona. Or to Cortina by bus.

Posted by
1223 posts

When are you thinking of visiting Venice.
Maybe during the Biennale?
Maybe during Homo Faber?
Maybe during the Salute?

Posted by
303 posts

I'm spending 11 days in Paris. I was thinking of going to Florence and Sienna but it would cut my time in Venice pretty short. I have been to Florence before, not to Sienna. Are the side trips from Venice anywhere as good as Sienna and maybe 2 days in Florence?

Posted by
1223 posts

Side trips from Venice are really worthwhile.
The main lagoon islands, Murano, Burano and Torcello.
Padova, half an hour by train.
Verona, an hour and a bit. The Cstel Veccihio museum is great.
Vicenza, about 3/4 hour.
Treviso
Bassano del Grappa, maybe take a bus to Possagno for the Canova museum
If brilliant architecture grabs you, google Carlo Scarpa, Venice’s best known modern architect. The Brion mausoleum at Altivole is worth a visit. Also the Querini Stampia Foundation in Venice is excellent,mwith a nice cafe. The Olivetti showroom in the Piazza is a little Scarpa jewel.

Posted by
1323 posts

First timeI was inVenice (in 1966) was a day trip. Since then each stay has been longer and longer. Next visit will be a week and I plan to use one full day in Murano visiting the area away from the shops and one full day in Burano.

Posted by
1371 posts

It would be for me. While Venice has some amazing sites the main draw is Venice itself. On our first trip there we spent three nights and one on our second. After several days in one location I'm usually ready to experience another place. You could spend half your vacation in Venice and the other half in another nearby destination such as the Istrian Peninsula. Rovinj, Croatia is a beautiful seaside town and as are the hill towns of Motovun and Grožnjan. Piran in Slovenia is also nice. If you want to go a little further look at Ljubljana and Lake Bled.

Posted by
15585 posts

The only city I love more than Venice is Paris. However, I do think 9 days might be too many. There are several good places to visit that aren't far from Venice but I would advise seeing one or more of them as overnight stays. Venice is probably the most expensive so I don't like the idea of day-tripping. Also you may end up staying relatively far from the train station making those journeys much longer. Lastly, the places I have in mind are great to spend evenings in, enjoying dinner and seeing them after dark.

It would help to know:
1. How are you getting from Paris to Italy and are you locked in to that.
2. Are you flying home from Venice?
3. What are your dates? Weather and local happenings can make a big difference.

I like Verona, Bologna and Ferrara. I don't know why, but Padua didn't "do it" for me, but I'm in the minority here. None of these is a hill town, unlike Siena, but all have a lot to offer. Verona has lots of interesting sights and the Arena is wonderful. Bologna is low key, more a university town and has significantly fewer tourists. It's easy to day trip from Bologna because it's a rail hub and the station is a 15-20 minute walk from the historic center.

Posted by
303 posts

I have not locked in my flight from Paris yet. I arrive in Paris and want to fly to Venice that day, April 12. I'm flying home from Paris. So I go back to Paris the 22 of April.

Posted by
303 posts

I am not staying in Venice, but on the mailland in Spinea. I can cancel that for free.

Posted by
303 posts

Do you think 11 days in Paris and surroundings is too much?

Posted by
1025 posts

I have a couple of questions:

First, why would you want to stay in Spinea on the mainland rather than in Venice proper? The location will add a minimum of an hour’s travel each day into Venice, and that is only to the Santa Lucia train station. Venice is at its best and most beautiful during the early morning and late evening hours. Please consider a Venice centric hotel.

Second, why would you travel to Paris, immediately proceed to Venice, and then return to Paris after your Venetian adventure. Open jaw tickets arriving in Paris or Venice, coupled with a return from the other city, would cost about the same amount and would avoid backtracking.

Third, do you have a good idea of what you want to see in each city? That would dictate to me the amount of time you allocate for each place. Each city has its charms, and its irritants. A little research will assist you in deciding on the length of your stays. Have you checked the Rick Steves guidebooks to give you some sightseeing ideas?

Posted by
2 posts

My first trip to Venice was one day. The second was 4 nights. I am booked for 5 nights in June, as I wanted time to just amble and get lost! I consider that the ultimate luxury in life.

Posted by
32767 posts

Most of my trips to Venice are a week plus or minus, or if I am in the Veneto I concentrate there and only pop into Venice 3 or 4 days.

Posted by
700 posts

My husband and I are planning on 9 nights in Venice late August to early September. I have found so much do to there that it won’t be enough time unless we do the run, run, run-and we won’t. My husband is a very casual traveler.
Are you staying in Spinea because of nightly rates? It would seem that upping your costs a bit just to stay in Venice would be worth the extra time to spend in the city. Spinea is a ways out even with good transport schedules. Then think of the fun you might have trying all the cichetti for an inexpensive evening meal!! Research food options as their breakfast is coffee and a croissant (cornetto) or similar, then large lunch during midday when most of the shops are closed, so you might be able to eat reasonably and spend those extra dollars on you accommodation.
It sure is fun to plan though huh? I’ve gotten so much positive info from this forum. It is a good place to continue to ask questions and gather hints. Good luck.

Posted by
303 posts

It is fun planning! How much would cichitti cost for an evening meal? I did cancel my stay in Spinea as I found Maestre closer and not too bad to get to Venice. They said 15-20 minutes. Is it possible to find a relatively expensive place in Venice. Would Booking.com be the place to look.

What will you do in those 9 days. I know I want to wander down alot of back streets and get lost. I also would do some museums and churches, and visit some other islands.
Are you going any other places in Italy? Other people seem to think 9 days is too much, except for a few. It's a very intriguing city, and I only spent 1 day there many years ago. My other idea is to go to Florence for 4 days and take a side trip to Sienna or other medieval town. I've done many museums in Florence and Rome however it was many years ago.
Tell my more about your life choice and I thank you. I'm driving myself nuts going back and forth.

Posted by
288 posts

I love Venice..for me..9 days would not be too long..but I live to settle in and feel like a local. I too encourage to stay in Venice if costs allow..it is really magical..just to get up. Out. And be on your way. Booking.com can be a great friend when price searching...and off the beaten path in Central Venice is still central. I will private message you with some hotel suggestions and cost...

Posted by
700 posts

Hi again,
My research shows that having some cichetti and a small glass of wine (un ombré) runs about $6 or so per Bacaro-a bar that just does that type of thing-late afternoon to early evening. A bit like pintxo in San Sebastian Spain. Difficult to say but look it up for Venice. I did look at booking.com and also airbnb for accommodations. There are some but what exactly are you looking for? Unfortunately, getting a bit tight to have lots of choice. So much depends on whether or not you want a private or shared bathroom-a hotel or private room and what your budget might allow. Take into consideration that you may not spend that much time in the room so having clean and basic might be enough. Are you traveling alone? That makes a big difference. As far as Mestre, all I’ve ever read is it isn’t very nice and try not to stay there. No personal experience.
As for what I’m looking at-city tour, St. Marks’ Basilica tour, a rowing/ cichetti thing. The Regatta will happen when we are there so that is part of it. Going to St.Michele, Torcello and Mazzorbo. Not too interested in Burano/Murano. There is a maze, albeit not the kind to get lost in, that has just reopened at San Giorgio Maggiore- Borghes Labirinto. Then there is the wandering in each sestiere to see what each is like. Churches, markets, getting lost and getting lost again. Taking the #1 vaporetto in both directions on the Grand Canal. Even though it sounds like Venice is a good walking city, it still takes time to get from here to there. There are a few things that most won’t find interesting- a tour at an atelier that does costuming for movies, carnivale, etc. The Fortuny Museum-fabric, weaving, design. Possibly going to La Fenice for a self guided tour. I’ve never considered myself a great researcher, but diving in brings up so much. Really much more than most of us can absorb.
Go back through this forum and look at past postings for Venice. I believe you can type a subject in and you’ll get tons of info from previous posts. Lots of links to peruse, and just peoples likes/dislikes about Venice, plus the tidbits!
ANd in the end, make it your own personal tour. It will be worth it!

Posted by
317 posts

We have spent a week (6-8 days) in Venice on 4 different occasions and we didn't feel like we ran out of new and interesting things to do. We did take a trip to Padova for the day once and, of course, you can visit Lido or the islands of the lagoon if you feel like you just need off of the main island. Nine days sounds like a nice amount of time to me. Good luck!

Posted by
3114 posts

If you're coming all that way to Europe, please don't stay in Mestre!!
There are many options to stay in Venice, and part of the whole trip is being able to wander around at dusk and dark and see it from that perspective.
You don't want to be getting on trains and going back to dismal Mestre every night.
Look for convent accommodation, and also on booking.com.
If you are there for nine nights, what about a small apartment?
Have you rented a vacation apartment before?

Nine days is not too much , IMHO.
I have been in Venice five times, and each time I/we stay longer.
Last time it was for two weeks.
Lots to do, and part of the fun is wandering, and ambling.
I will see what I can find for budget accom. for you.

Posted by
3114 posts

https://www.monasterystays.com/?d=Italy/Veneto/Venice-accommodation

I'm not sure how old this site is, but just look up convent stays.

On booking.com, you put in all the filters for your requirements: budget, private bathroom etc.
Then open the big map to see where all the places are.
If you plan to take daytrips from Venice by train, it's good to stay near the train station, so in Canareggio, or Dorsuduro areas.
Then you can walk back and forth to there easily.
Those two areas are where we always like to stay in Vanice.
The map can help you figure out some good places nearby.

You can also rent apartments on booking .com.

Posted by
6510 posts

I spent six nights in Venice and would have enjoyed more. One day I went to Padua and back, which I'd recommend. With nine days, an overnight there would be worthwhile. I agree with others that it's much, much better to sleep in Venice itself if you can possibly afford it. Anywhere on the island would be a big improvement over Mestre. It's very walkable (if you don't mind bridges with stairs) and a vaporetto pass would get you anywhere if you get tired, plus provide instant waterborne sightseeing. As you look at cost, add the daily train fare to and from Mestre to that side of the equation.

Posted by
303 posts

Thanks for all the imput. It has been very helpful! I decided to stay in Venice and for 9 days. I'm so looking forward to it! I will maybe go to Padua and Trevisio for day trips or perhaps another island. Or if I can't get enough of Venice, just stay there.