Please sign in to post.

Venice

What days do the cruise ships dock in Venice?

Posted by
7209 posts

Cruise ships leave in the evening with all of their myriads of cruisers! Even and early morning are the only peaceful times in Venice - it's truly a different world. No, you can't "see" Venice as a daytrip...just not possible.

Posted by
33525 posts

I've NEVER been to Venice when there have been fewer than 4 cruise ships in port every day. Usually its more like 6 to 8.

Posted by
55 posts

Venice is tourist packed as it is, if you find the Cruise ship schedule, I highly recommend planning your vist around it.

Posted by
39 posts

Doreen, I was wondering the same thing. I'm going to be there in mid-May. I looked online at the site for the Venice Port, but couldn't find this info, and my guess is that there are probably cruise ships there all the time. I've been advised to do non-touristy things during the peak hours 10-4, like walking neighborhoods, and hit the tourist spots early or late. Good luck, and if you find out more, do post it here. Colleen

Posted by
42 posts

We are also traveling there in the middle of May. I am in the process of planning our itinerary and I would like to visit Venice for the day only. We are currently considering a day trip for Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. I will let you know if I find out any other information.

Posted by
7737 posts

If there's any way to spend a couple of nights in Venice, I strongly suggest doing that. If you do it as a day trip, you'll be riding the wave of toursts both in and out. I appreciate that you're trying to avoid this by determining the cruise ship schedule, but the best way is to actually stay there. I believe that the cruise ships are almost always there, since the big dock can accommodate several ships at the same time. Good luck.

Posted by
39 posts

Don't be discouraged Doreen. I was originally only going to spend one night in Venice, but after reading Rick's guide I knew I had to spend more time there. Of course, I had that option. Of course you don't expect to see all of Venice in one day, but you could certainly get a taste. I would bet a Monday would be better than the weekend. Just focus on one or two sites. If it were me, I would just wander, but if you really love the religious art, choose the Academia and Frari church, and I understand that's a cool neighborhood, too. Most of the tourists are going to be in St. Marks square and the sites around it. If you want to shop just go to the Rialto bridge and roam the commercial district between there and St. Marks and the morning market on the other side. You'll drive yourself crazy if you try to do too much. Colleen

Posted by
1446 posts

Re: Mondays: There is no fresh fish or seafood sold in Venice on Mondays... so many of the better restaurants (mom & pop trattorias included) tend to close on Mondays.

Posted by
40 posts

Doreen, I think it depends on how energetic you are. We did Venice 9 years ago in 13 hours, we were running all over taking it all in, loved it. We did Venice 3 years ago in 3 days, loved it, We are doing Venice in May for 2 days, will love it. I think if you can only go for a day, go, do what you can and enjoy. Maybe you'll go back. Good Luck
Connie

Posted by
284 posts

Everyday that they can dock. Only if there is a severe aqua alta is there a lack of cruise ships. Aqua alta tends to occur ~Nov-Feb with a severe one every so many years. Just no way to plan around the cruise ships in Venice. Best time of year is the winter months since there are less vacationers but it is study busy during winter months. Edwin