Please sign in to post.

Venice

While in Germany we are taking a plane to Venice December 27 til Dec 31. . With so many choices I was wondering if anyone could recommend a place to stay? I like apartments my husband likes Hotels. We are planning on sightseeing and looking at some churches. This will be our third time to Italy. I read somewhere I could purchase water taxi tickets in advance? Any friendly advise is much appreciated. Thank you

Posted by
2406 posts

Water taxi or vaporetto?

While not for everyone, Mybwife and i loved staying at the nun run guesthouse, Instituo Sa Guiseppi

Posted by
1206 posts

I was in Venice those dates just over a year ago, and almost those dates in Jan. 2019. Prepare for damp, chilly, maybe rainy or windy weather, though it could be clear and pleasantly cool. If you like to look at churches, look into the "Chorus" pass which gives you entry to a number of beautiful churches around the city. Download the "Frari Church" and "San Marco Basilica" (and other) free audio tours on the free "Rick Steves Audio Europe" phone app. Water taxis run point-to-point and are individually booked (or prebooked, by your hotel) for specific trips. The vaporetto is the "water bus" that runs on regular schedules up and down the Grand Canal, plus nearby islands, plus down other canals around the city. Those tickets are purchased either at a vaporetto ticket office around town (one right outside the train station, for example) or from a vaporetto ticket kiosk (ditto locations). No point at all trying to pre-purchase. A 3-day or one-week vaporetto pass will likely well be worth the investment. Buy it from a ticket office or kiosk. You might well want to pick up a copy of Steves' "Italy" book, or just his "Venice" book. It will help you frame your questions so that the kind folks on the forum will know more specifically what kind of advice you'd like. Places to eat? to hear music? to drink wine? cicchetti tours? gondola rowing lessons? getting to Murano? price range for hotel/apartment suggestions? Let us know!

Posted by
4833 posts

Should you decide to stay at Pensione Guerrato I can give directions for a "back door" approach that will save much walking with your luggage.

Posted by
20090 posts

Water taxi or vaporetto? Same difference as a land taxi and a city bus.

Posted by
332 posts

Thank you for all the replies. I think we will stay at a B&B this time. Lots of options. Can anyone recommend a good restaurant?

Posted by
173 posts

Venezia is such a magical place early in the morning and late at night or generally away from the crowds of Rialto and St. Marks. Rosa Rossa is a place we stumbled upon while walking the streets and I got the sea bass. One of the best meals I have had in Italy and that is not something I take lightly. We got lucky and got in without a reservation, but you might want to make one to be assured of a table.

Ciao