Please sign in to post.

venice

we are planning to stay in Venice for 3 days, we're looking at Lido de Venice. Is the fairy accross expensive? Any advice about this or is downtown Venice the place to stay.....

Posted by
1201 posts

Stay in the main part of Venice. There are many different areas in Venice proper to stay and places at many diferrent price levels.

Posted by
7737 posts

I can speak from personal and recent experience directly to this question. We've been to Venice three times. The first two times we stayed in Venice proper and absolutely loved it. The most recent time (this past May) we decided to see what it would be like to stay on the Lido instead. I would never do that again. It's like staying in Jersey when you want to visit Manhattan. In theory it's nearby, but in reality it's a world away. The ferry ride is fairly tiring and loud and about 10 bucks each way. Yes, you can buy a pass (which we did), but you're still losing big chunks of time out of your day riding back and forth. Part of the charm of Venice is being able to wander around late in the evening, and we love being able to go back to our room for a break during the late afternoon - much harder to do when you're staying on the Lido. So, in short, stay in Venice proper. (And allow me to recommend Pension Guerrato, the place we stayed the first two times. It's a big RS favorite, with an excellent location.)

Posted by
199 posts

Mary, I agree with Michael: you want to stay in the heart of Venice, and the Rialto Bridge area is perfect. I also heartily agree with Michael that Pensione Guerrato is tremendous, and very reasonably priced. We loved it and its location.

Posted by
79 posts

Hi Mary: I have to agree with the majority. We recently returned from Venice and we stayed on Giudecca, near the Hilton. It was beautiful and quiet but I think it's worth it to stay closer to the action. It was extremely hot while we were there and it would have been so nice to have a hotel room nearby to get out of the heat and freshen up in the mid afternoon or even to relax for a couple of hours before going back out for a night time stroll. We were only a 20 minute ride across the canal but still it was a deterrent to going back in the evening. There are nice quiet hotels close to the center, such as Pensione Accademia, for example.