Please sign in to post.

Veneto region

My family is leaving in a few days for a very relaxed and low-key trip to the Veneto area. We will be there for 10 days, using Vicenza as a base, and visiting Verona, Padua, Bassano del Grappa, and Venice. I would love to hear any advice on sights not to be missed in these towns, favorite restaurants, or anything else you'd like to share. We aren't planning on any marathon sight-seeing, but just spending time together, eating great food, drinking good wine, walking around, etc. What would you do with 10 days in these 5 places? We will also be there over Christmas, so for at least a day or two we won't have access to a lot of tourist attractions. Thanks in advance!

Posted by
2456 posts

In Verona, the San Zeno church and the Sant' Anastasia church are both very lovely to visit. The Giardino Giusti is a do-not-miss, in my opinion. It's also very enjoyable just to walk around by the Adige River and cross the historic bridges. In Padova, my do-not-miss would be the Scrovegni Chapel, for which you would need to make advance reservations. The markets around the Palazzo della Ragione are a lot of fun.

Posted by
1589 posts

I would add take a day trip to Ravenna. The mosaics are fantastic.

Posted by
2487 posts

Don't forget the Villa Maser (in the village of the same name) some 15, 20 kilometres east from Bassano. One of the masterpieces of the architect Palladio and wonderful for its frescoes. Information on http://www.villadimaser.it/en

Posted by
32813 posts

Will you have a car? If so, I can suggest a fab museum.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you so much for all the great suggestions. We will not have a car. We would love to ski, but I don't think time will allow on this trip.

Posted by
7175 posts

I would consider Ravenna a bit far (3 hours and 2 changes by train) but Ferrara and Mantova at about 1hr45min each are both well worth a look.

I would add that San Zeno in Verona is well worth the effort, and of course Teatro Olimpico + Villa Rotunda in Vicenza. It may not be the best time of year but I found Padua's historically important Botanic Gardens extremely interesting and a wonderful oasis.

Posted by
11613 posts

The Colli Euganei are lovely, excellent prosecco wines. You would need a car, but perhaps you can book a wine tour?

Posted by
824 posts

I used Vicenza as a base while there on a business trip a couple years ago. My only regret was that we didn't spend a night in Venice. However, since you'll be in Venice during the winter, the daytime crowds shouldn't be as bad. On a side note concerning Venice - have you checked the lunar calendar and tide tables? Winter brings in some really high tides that can flood large swaths of Venice. You might want to plan accordingly?

In Vicenza, don't miss the Teatro Olimpico - just amazing. Also, Santa Corona is well worth a visit.

Padua is a wonderful city and only minutes by train. Big plus is the tram that runs from the train station to the old center of town. Scrovegni Chapel is a really important site but requires advanced reservations most of the time. The Basilica di Sant'Antonio da Padova is a must-see. The Piazza dei Signori market is also really interesting.

Verona is about an hour by train and really walkable. Piazza Bra with its Arena is really impressive and I would highly recommend the Castlevecchio.