Please sign in to post.

Vatican tours

The Vatican website tells me they are sold out for the January dates I wanted. What private tour operator is best? I have been told that lines for the Vatican are very much shorter in January so would that be my next best option?

Posted by
1317 posts

Unless you really want the extra information a guided tour provides, you can do it solo/with a guidebook. Rick has a nice, slightly corny, podcast for the Sistine Chapel (but not the rest of the museum).

If your primary concern is avoiding lines, you should have no trouble in January, and if you are still worried, you can pre-purchase reservations from the Vatican now. We did this for mid-November, although it was completely unnecessary as we were just waved right in 30 minutes before our reserved time.

Posted by
101 posts

I booked a tour with Angel Tours and they were great. We did the afternoon tour at 130pm and walked right into the Vactican museums (the end of September so I would imagine even shorter lines in January). Our tour lasted from 130pm to almost 5pm and had about 10 people in it.

Posted by
267 posts

we really enjoyed our tour of the vatican with angel tours this past spring. did the morning tour with about 10 people. avoiding all lines and lasting aprox. 4 hrs. good luck :):)

Posted by
1127 posts

Through Eternity has a great Vatican tour. In January lines should not be an issue.

Posted by
160 posts

Paula,

There are always tours being offered outside the Vatican. When we were waiting in line there were at least 3 people who came up to us to ask if we wanted to join a tour.