Please sign in to post.

Vatican tours

We will be in Rome December 16-21. I've made reservations for the scavi tour of the Vatican on the 17th at one pm. Our apartments is a ten minute walk from the Vatican. A few questions; should we do another Vatican tour on the same day and which tour or tours are recommended? Or should we take a couple days to do the Vatican? Also, is it best to go through the Vatican itself or a particular tour group? Thanks so much!

Posted by
362 posts

I think you mean the scavi tour of the Basilica. Vatican Museums is something totally different, including Sistine Chapel. The best possible tour is with Walks of Italy, called the Pristine Sistine. It takes about 4 hours and you enter well before the general public is admitted. Full description is on the WOI website.

Posted by
381 posts

We did the Pristine Sistine Tour one day and then went back the next day for the scavi tour. It is doable in one day but for the best use of time, and not overlap, I would do it in two. Also, when you get to the check in point for the scavi tour stay there and do not walk around and come back! We got there early to be sure we knew exactly where to go and then walked around went back about 15 minutes before our tour began. There was now a huge line and one checkpoint that served several "private" groups. If you are late for the scavi tour they will start without you and not allow you to catch up so play it safe and just wait so you do not get caught up in the crowd for other small special tours. Also, I would take the Pristine Sistine tour first since the scavi tour will come out with access back into the basilica and you can revisit with your new information from the previous day's tour.

Posted by
28 posts

thank you for your post. We also have a reservation and I wasn't sure if we have to go through the security checkpoint for the Basilica or if there is a separate checkpoint. My friends want to take their cameras for other activities that day, so I believe they will have to wait in the Basilica security line regardless so that they can check their items. Does anyone know for sure?

Posted by
381 posts

There is a totally separate entrance of the Scavi tour. it is kind of on the side, you will need to ask to find it. I thought the scavi tour was unbelievable tour ever. We have been the Italy three times and Europe a whole lot more and that tour blew me away! Be on time and don't miss it. There are some age restrictions for children if you have young ones.

Posted by
28 posts

Thank you so much! I don't think there is a bag check for the scavi tour though, and that was why I thought my friends would need to wait in the main checkpoint line to check their camera bags?

Posted by
370 posts

Joan
The first question is, have you ever been in the Basilica? It is immense and the art work could keep you busy for several hours. We never had a tour of the basilica, we just did lots of research prior to our visits there. So you could visit the Basilica prior to the tour. Or you could easily walk around Rome in the morning and make your way to Vatican City around noon. Make sure you give yourself time to go through security and be at the designated point 15 minutes ahead of your scheduled time. They are very strict about this and around Christmas it will be crowded. Or, when you finish the scavi tour, you are in the basement of the Basilica and you can easily go to the main floor and/or the cupola. Realize the tour takes a good 1 1/2- 2 hours and it will get dark early, so seeing the sunset from the cupola (it takes ~ 40 minutes to get up there) or even the rooftop of the Basilica would be amazing. If you want to do a guided tour of the vatican museums, you need to allow 3 or 4 hours. We have visited there several times and always used the official guide from the museum itself, not the outside tour (walks of italy, etc). Check the website for the closure times, as it changes in winter. Good luck!